The prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus is reported to be increasing in last recent years. Pregnant women become progressively more insulin resistant due to multi factors like release of placental hormones. The present study investigate the incidence of gestational diabetes mellitus concomitant with abnormal thyroid function in a cohort of 4178 Morocco women. We used Cox-model to investigate the association of thyroid function test with gestational diabetes and explore effects of other risk factors, including gynecological disorders and birth weight of offspring. This study concluded that low thyroid function are risk factors for incident gestational diabetes and more studies needs to investigate the subclinical cases of hypothyroidism.
Keywords: Diabetes mellitus; Gestation; Pregnant women
Copyright © 2016 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
- Farouqi A, Harti M, Nejjari C. Prise en charge du diabète au Maroc: résultats de l’International Diabetes Management Practices Study (IDMPS) – Vague 2 [Management of diabetes in Morocco: Results of the International Diabetes Management Practices Study (IDMPS) – Wave 2]. Med Mal Metab 2010;4:704-711. [Google Scholar]
- Gagliardino J, Aschner P, Baik S, Chan J, Chantelot J, Ilkova H. Patients’ education, and its impact on care outcomes, resource consumption and working conditions: data from the International Diabetes Management Practices Study (IDMPS). Diabetes Metab 2010;38:128-134. [Google Scholar]
- Benshalom-Tirosh D, Novack N, Press F, et al. Hypothyroidism and diabetes mellitus-a risky dual gestational endocrinopathy. Peer J 2013;1:e52. [Crossref] [PubMed] [Scopus (5)]
- Sahu MT, Das V, Mittal S, Agarwal A, Sahu M. Overt and subclinical thyroid dysfunction among Indian pregnant women and its effect on maternal and fetal outcome. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2010;281:215-220. [Crossref] [PubMed] [Scopus (71)]
- Tudela CM, Casey BM, McIntire DD, Cunningham FG. Relationship of subclinical thyroid disease to the incidence of gestational diabetes. Obstet Gynecol 2012;119:983-988. [Crossref] [PubMed] [Scopus (40)]
- Yang WS, Va P, Bray F, et al. The role of pre-existing diabetes mellitus on hepatocellular carcinoma occurrence and prognosis: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. PLoS ONE 2011;6:e27326. [View Article] [PubMed/NCBI]
- Inoue M, Iwasaki M, Otani T, et al. Diabetes mellitus and the risk of cancer. Arch Intern Med 2006;166:1871-1877. [View Article] [PubMed/NCBI] [Google Scholar]
- Dvey-Smith G, Egger M, Shipley MJ, Marmot M. Post-challenge glucose concentration, impaired glucose tolerance, diabetes, and cancer mortality in men. Am J Epidemiol 1991;136:1110-1114. [PubMed/NCBI]
- Widerpass E, Gridley G, Nyren O, et al. Cause-specific mortality in a cohort of patients with diabetes mellitus: a population-based study in Sweden. J Clin Epidemiol 2001;54:802-809. [PubMed]
- Meinhold CL, Ron E, Schonfeld SJ, et al. Nonradiation Risk Factors for Thyroid Cancer in the US Radiologic Technologists Study. American Journal of Epidemiology 2009;171:242-252. [PubMed]
- Chubb, SAP, Davist, WA, Inman, Z, Davis, TME. Prevalence and progression of subclinical hypothyroidism in women with type 2 diabetes: the fremantle diabetes study. Clinical Endocrinology. 2005;62(4):480-486. [PubMed]
- Barker JM. Clinical review: type 1 diabetes-associated autoimmunity: natural history, genetic association and screening. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2006;91(4):377-386.
- Bellamy L, Casas JP, Hingorani AD, Williams D. Type 2 diabetes mellitus after gestational diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. The Lancet 2009;373(9677):1773-1779.
- Chubb SA, Davis WA, Davis TM. Interactions among thyroid function, insulin sensitivity and serum lipid concentration: the Freemantle diabetes study. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2005;90(9):2317-2320.
Langer O, Anyaegbunam A, Brustman L, Divon M. Management of women with one abnormal oral glucose tolerance test value reduces adverse outcome in pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1989;161:593-599. [PubMed]
Li DF, Wong VC, O'Hoy KM, Yeung CY, Ma HK. Is treatment needed for mild impairment of glucose tolerance in pregnancy? A randomized controlled trial. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1987;94:851-854. [PubMed]
Agarwal MM, Dhatt GS, Punnose J, Koster G. Gestational diabetes: dilemma caused by multiple international diagnostic criteria. Diabet Med 2005;22:1731-1736. [PubMed]
Simmons R. Epigenetics and maternal nutrition: nature v. nurture. Proc Nutr Soc 2011;70:73-81. [PubMed]
Forman MR CM, Ronckers C, Zhang Y. Through the looking glass at early-life exposures and breast cancer risk. Cancer Invest 23:609-624. [PubMed]
Langer O, Levy J, Brustman L, et al. Glycemic control in gestational diabetes mellitus—how tight is tight enough: small for gestational age versus large for gestational age? Am J Obstet Gynecol 1989;161:646-653. [PubMed]
Sadeh-Mestechkin D, Walfisch A, Shachar R, et al. Suspected macrosomia? Better not tell. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2008;278:225-230. [PubMed]
Barton JR, O'Brien J M, Bergauer NK, Jacques DL, Sibai BM. Mild gestational hypertension remote from term: progression and outcome. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2001;184:979-983. [PubMed]
READ THE FULL ARTICLE
1. Access this article through OpenAthens
3. Purchase this article at rate $55.00 and received Full-Text/PDF
You will have online immediate access to article following the completion of this purchase and you may download and print a copy of each article for your personal use. Use the coding below to purchase your article as PDF by credit card, debit card, will be asked to supply your billing card information. Before continue with your purchase please read carefully the BM-Publisher terms and conditions of purchase.
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Who Can Become a Reviewer?
Any expert in the article's research field can become a reviewer with American Journal of Biomedicine. Editors might ask you to look at a specific aspect of an article,...
Thank you for visiting American Journal of BioMedicine. * = Required fields
American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 5, Issue 2, pages 86-98
Received October 04, 2016; accepted January 05, 2017; published February 09, 2017
How to cite this article
El Houssaine M, Bouamra O. Abnormal thyroid function and risk factor of gestational diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis. American Journal of BioMedicine 2017;5(2):86-98.