Neuroblastoma (NB) is the most common extracranial solid tumor of infancy. It is an embryonal malignancy of the sympathetic nervous system arising from neuroblasts (pluripotent sympathetic cells). Most patients present with signs and symptoms related to tumor growth, although small tumors have been detected due to the common use of prenatal ultrasonography. Large abdominal tumors often result in increased abdominal girth and other local symptoms. Peritoneal ascites involvement is rare, we report the case a 6-month-old female child with an isolated huge ascitis and pleural effusion unresponsive to treatment.
Keywords: Neuroblastoma; Ascites; Pleural effusion
Copyright © 2017 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
- Challagundla KB, Wise PM, Neviani P, et al. Exosome-mediated transfer of microRNAs within the tumor microenvironment and neuroblastoma resistance to chemotherapy. J Natl Cancer Inst 2015;107(7). [Medline]
- Shimada H, Chatten J, Newton WA Jr, et al. Histopathologic prognostic factors in neuroblastic tumors: definition of subtypes of ganglioneuroblastoma and an age-linked classification of neuroblastomas. J Natl Cancer Inst 1984;73(2):405-16. [Medline]
- Cohn SL, Pearson AD, London WB, et al. The International Neuroblastoma Risk Group (INRG) classification system: an INRG Task Force report. J Clin Oncol;2009:27(2):289-97. [Medline] [Full Text].
- Stiller CA, Parkin DM. International Variations in the incidence of neuroblastoma. International Journal of Cancer 1992;52:538-543.
- George RE, Li S, Medeiros-Nancarrow C, et al. High-risk neuroblastoma treated with tandem autologous peripheral-blood stem cell-supported transplantation: long-term survival update. J Clin Oncol 2006;24(18):2891-6. [Medline]
- Schleiermacher G, Javanmardi N, Bernard V, et al. Emergence of New ALK Mutations at Relapse of Neuroblastoma. J Clin Oncol 2014;32(25):2727-34. [Medline]
- Tang XX, Evans AE, Zhao H, et al. High-level expression of EPHB6, EFNB2, and EFNB3 is associated with low tumor stage and high TrkA expression in human neuroblastomas. Clin Cancer Res 1999;5(6):1491-6. [Medline]
- Turkel SB, Itabashi HH. The natural history of neuroblastic cells in the fetal adrenal gland. Am J Pathol 1974;76(2):225-44. [Medline]
- Wang Q, Diskin S, Rappaport E, et al. Integrative genomics identifies distinct molecular classes of neuroblastoma and shows that multiple genes are targeted by regional alterations in DNA copy number. Cancer Res 2006;66(12):6050-62. [Medline]
- White PS, Maris JM, Sulman EP, et al. Molecular analysis of the region of distal 1p commonly deleted in neuroblastoma. Eur J Cancer 1997;(12):1957-61. [Medline]
- Woods WG, Tuchman M, Robison LL, et al. A population-based study of the usefulness of screening for neuroblastoma. Lancet 1996;348(9043):1682-7. [Medline]
- Monclair T, Brodeur GM, Ambros PF, et al. The International Neuroblastoma Risk Group (INRG) staging system: an INRG Task Force report. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27(2):298-303. [Medline][Full Text]
- London WB, Castleberry RP, Matthay KK, et al. Evidence for an age cutoff greater than 365 days for neuroblastoma risk group stratification in the Children's Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol 2005;23(27):6459-65. [Medline]
READ THE FULL ARTICLE
1. Access this article through OpenAthens
3. Purchase this article at rate $55.00 and received Full-Text/PDF
You will have online immediate access to article following the completion of this purchase and you may download and print a copy of each article for your personal use. Use the coding below to purchase your article as PDF by credit card, debit card, will be asked to supply your billing card information. Before continue with your purchase please read carefully the BM-Publisher terms and conditions of purchase.
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Who Can Become a Reviewer?
Any expert in the article's research field can become a reviewer with American Journal of Biomedicine. Editors might ask you to look at a specific aspect of an article,...
Thank you for visiting American Journal of BioMedicine. * = Required fields
American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 5, Issue 4, pages 170-182
Received January 11, 2017; accepted April 16, 2017; published April 21, 2017
How to cite this article
Feng XS, Takagi HX, Feng JR. An unusual cause of peritoneal ascitis: An isolated bilateral neuroblastoma. American Journal of BioMedicine 2017;5(4):160-182.
Case report outline
3. Case presentation