Mark Turler, Shel Thoma, Maria Graves, Suzan M. Lyman, Jan H. Kasper
Myocardial depression is a well-recognized manifestation of organ dysfunction in sepsis, the direct protective effect of Dopamine on myocardial is still not clear. Here, we aimed to study whether Dopamine can directly protect myocardial from endotoxemia. To test that, we used adult C57/BL6 mice were treated with endotoxin (0.5 mg/kg, iv). Clozapine was administered as D2 antagonist, (intraperitoneal administration shortly before the model of sepsis). Electron microscopy, TUNEL staining, caspase-3 expression, and the Bcl-2/Bax ratio were used to measure myocardial apoptosis. Left ventricle (LV) function was assessed using a microcatheter system. Chemokines and cytokines in plasma and myocardium were analyzed by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). Mononuclear cells in the myocardium were examined using immunofluorescence staining. In conclusion, our results for the first time showed the role of Dopamine to directly protect myocardial from endotoxemia through attenuated proinflammatory cytokines and partly through inhibiting apoptosis.
Keywords: Myocardial depression; Dopamine; Endotoxemia; Apoptosis
1. Sadeghi HM, Schnelle JF, Thoma JK, Nishanian P, Fahey JL. Phenotypic and functional characteristics of circulating monocytes of elderly persons. Exp Gerontol 1999, 34:959-970. [PubMed]
2. Deshmane SL, Kremlev S, Amini S, Sawaya BE. Monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1): an overview. J Interferon Cytokine Res 2009, 29:313-326. [PubMed]
3. Zhang B, Liu Y, Zhang JS, et al. Cortistatin protects myocardium from endoplasmic reticulum stress induced apoptosis during sepsis. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2015;406:40-8. [PubMed]
4. Turler A, Schwarz NT, Turler E, Kalff JC, Bauer AJ. MCP-1 causes leukocyte recruitment and subsequently endotoxemic ileus in rat. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2002, 282:G145-G155. [PubMed]
5. Liu GS, Thornton J, Van Winkle DM, Stanley AW, Olsson RA, Downey JM. Protection against infarction afforded by preconditioning is mediated by A1 adenosine receptors in rabbit heart. Circulation 1991; 84(1):350-356. [PubMed]
6. Giricz Z, Lalu MM, Csonka C, Bencsik P, Schulz R, Ferdinandy P. Hyperlipidemia attenuates the infarct size-limiting effect of ischemic preconditioning: role of matrix metalloproteinase-2 inhibition.
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2006;316(1):154-161. [PubMed]
7. Pyne-Geithman GJ, Caudell DN, Cooper M, Clark JF, Shutter LA. Dopamine D2-receptor-mediated increase in vascular and endothelial NOS activity ameliorates cerebral vasospasm after subarachnoid hemorrhage in vitro. Neurocrit Care 2009;10(2):225-231. [PubMed]
8. Annane D, Bellissant E, Cavaillon JM. Septic shock. Lancet 2005;365:63–78. [PubMed]
9. Angus DC, Linde-Zwirble WT, et al. Epidemiology of severe sepsis in the United States: Analysis of incidence, outcome, and associated costs of care. Crit Care Med 2001;29:1303–10. [PubMed]
10. Alberti C, Brun-Buisson C, et al. Epidemiology of sepsis and infection in ICU patients from an international multicentre cohort study. Intensive Care Med 2002;28:108–121. [PubMed]
11. Levy MM, Dellinger RP, Townsend SR, et al. The Surviving Sepsis Campaign: results of an international guideline-based performance improvement program targeting severe sepsis. Intensive Care Med 2010;36:222–31. [PubMed]
12. Ruiz-Bailen M. Reversible myocardial dysfunction in critically ill, noncardiac patients: A review. Crit Care Med 2002;30:1280–90. [PubMed]
13. Fernandes CJ, Jr, Akamine N, Knobel E. Myocardial depression in sepsis. Shock 2008;30:14–17. [PubMed]
14. Price S, Anning PB, Mitchell JA, et al. Myocardial dysfunction in sepsis: Mechanisms and therapeutic implications. Eur Heart J 1999;20:715–24. [PubMed]
15. Lattik R, Couture P, Denault AY, et al. Mitral Doppler indices are superior to two-dimensional echocardiographic and hemodynamic variables in predicting responsiveness of cardiac output to a rapid intravenous infusion of colloid. Anest Analg 2002;94:1092–9. [PubMed]
18. Madorin WS, Rui T, Sugimoto N, et al. Cardiac myocytes activated by septic plasma promote neutrophil transendotelial migration: role of platelet-activating factor and the chemokines LIX and KC. Circ Res 2004;94:944–51. [PubMed]
Limited access article
This article with limited access need to be buy, before continue with your purchase please read carefully the AJBM terms and conditions of purchase.
Purchase this article at rate $55.00 and received Full-Text/PDF
You will have online immediate access to article following the completion of this purchase and you may download and print a copy of each article for your personal use. Use the coding below to purchase your article as PDF by credit card, debit card, payball will be asked to supply your billing card information.
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Thank you for visiting American Journal of BioMedicine. * = Required fields
[gravityform id=”6″ name=”Feedback”]