Marchil Carden, Maria Granger, Marchil G. Rovere, Amanda Bron, Jimmy Fukumoto
It has become evident that IL-13 is a key mediator in the pathogenesis of many diseases. IL-13 receptors are expressed on human B cells, basophils, eosinophils, mast cells, endothelial cells, fibroblasts, monocytes, macrophages, respiratory epithelial cells, and smooth muscle cells. This review highlights the effector functions of IL-13 and describes multiple pathways for modulating its activity in fetal development during normal pregnancy.
Keywords: IL-13; Nnormal pregnancy; Fetal development; IL-4
1. Wynn TA. IL-13 effector functions. Annual Review of Immunology 2003; 21:425–456. [Abstract/Full-Text]
2. Kaviratne M, Hesse M, Leusink M, et al. IL-13 activates a mechanism of tissue fibrosis that is completely TGF-beta independent. The Journal of Immunology 2004;173:4020–4029. [Abstract/Full-Text]
3. Oh K, Seo MW, Lee GY, et al. Airway epithelial cells initiate the allergen response through transglutaminase 2 by inducing IL-33 expression and a subsequent Th2 response. Respiratory Research 2013;14:35. [Abstract/Full-Text]
4. Pre’fontaine D, Nadigel J, Chouiali F, et al. Increased IL-33 expression by epithelial cells in bronchial asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010;125:752-754. [Abstract/Full-Text]
6. Curry AE, Vogel I, Skogstrand K, et al. Maternal plasma cytokines in early- and mid-gestation of normal human pregnancy and their association with maternal factors. Journal of Reproductive Immunology 2008;77(2):152–160. [Abstract/Full-Text]
7. Kraus TA, Sperling RS, Engel SM. et al. Peripheral blood cytokine profiling during pregnancy and post-partum periods. The American Journal of Reproductive Immunology 2010; 64:411–426. [Abstract/Full-Text]
8. Milovanovic M, Volarevic V, Radosavljevic G, et al. IL-33/ST2 axis in inflammation and immunopathology. Immunol Res 2012;52:89-99. [PubMed]
9. CampbellJ, Osis ED, Joao Goufodji. Maternal mortality in Brazil: case study. American Journal of BioMedicine 2014;2(9):1061-1078. [Abstract/Full-Text]
10. Schmitz J, Owyang A, Oldham E, et al. IL-33, an interleukin-1-like cytokine that signals via the IL-1 receptor-related protein ST2 and induces T helper type 2-associated cytokines. Immunity 2005;23:479–490. [PubMed]
11. Curry AE, Vogel I, Drews C, et al. Mid-pregnancy maternal plasma levels of interleukin 2, 6, and 12, tumor necrosis factor-alpha, interferon-gamma, and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor and spontaneous preterm delivery. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica 2007;86:1103–1110. [Abstract/Full-Text]
12. Gargano JW, Holzman C, Senagore Pet al. Mid-pregnancy circulating cytokine levels, histologic chorioamnionitis and spontaneous preterm birth. Journal of Reproductive Immunology 2008;79:100–110. [Abstract/Full-Text]
13. Lin H, Mosmann TR, Guilbert S, Tuntipopipat S, Wegmann TG. Synthesis of T helper 2-type cytokines at the maternal-fetal interface. The Journal of Immunology1993;151(9):4562–4573.
14. Szarka A, Rigó Jr. J, Lázár L, Beko G, Molvarec A. Circulating cytokines, chemokines and adhesion molecules in normal pregnancy and preeclampsia determined by multiplex suspension array. BMC Immunology 2010; 11:59. [Abstract/Full-Text]
15. Redman CW, Sacks GP, Sargent IL. Preeclampsia: an excessive maternal inflammatory response to pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1999:180:499-506. [PubMed]
16. de Lima TH, Sass N, Mattar R, et al. Cytokine gene polymorphisms in preeclampsia and eclampsia. Hypertens Res 2009;32:565-569. [PubMed]
17. Darmochwal-Kolarz D, Rolinski J, Leszczynska-Goarzelak B, Oleszczuk J. The expressions of intracellular cytokines in the lymphocytes of preeclamptic patients. Am J Reprod Immunol 2002;48:381-386. [PubMed]
18. Hanna J, Goldman-Wohl D, Hamani Y, et al. Decidual NK cells regulate key developmental processes at the human fetal-maternal interface. Nature Medicine 2006;12(9):1065–1074. [Abstract/Full-Text]
19. Vural P, Degirmencioglu S, Saral NY, et al. Tumor necrosis factor alpha, interleukin-6 and interleukin-10 polymorphisms in preeclampsia. J Obstet Gynaecol Res 2010;36:64-71. [PubMed]
20. Biancotto A, Feng X, Langweiler M, Young NS, Philip McCoy J. Effect of anticoagulants on multiplexed measurement of cytokine/chemokines in healthy subjects. Cytokine 2012;60:438–446. [Abstract/Full-Text]
21. Minty A, Chalon P, Derocq JM, et al. Interleukin-13 is a new human lymphokine regulating inflammatory and immune responses. Nature 1993;362(6417):248–50. [Abstract/Full-Text]
22. Wills-Karp M, Luyimbazi J, Xu X, Schofield B, Neben TY, Karp CL, Donaldson DD. Interleukin-13: central mediator of allergic asthma. Science 1998;282(5397):2258–61. [Abstract/Full-Text]
Limited access article
This article with limited access need to be buy, before continue with your purchase please read carefully the AJBM terms and conditions of purchase.
Purchase this article at rate $55.00 and received Full-Text/PDF
You will have online immediate access to article following the completion of this purchase and you may download and print a copy of each article for your personal use. Use the coding below to purchase your article as PDF by credit card, debit card, payball will be asked to supply your billing card information.
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Thank you for visiting American Journal of BioMedicine. * = Required fields
[gravityform id=”6″ name=”Feedback”]