Fistula is the commonest complication after hypospadias surgery ranged 10-30%. The results of surgery depending on the severity of hypospadias, surgical technique, and experience of the operating surgeon. This is a prospective study analysis the operational procedures in post-hypospadias urethral fistula repair. Through July 2015 to January 2017, 21 patients with 21 fistulas where classified their treatment into: 6 fistula with simple closure, 7 fistula simple closure with fascial layer, and 7 fistula dorsal slit with fascial layer. According to my experience I have successfully treated all urethral fistulas using my method, with success rate. We concluded that the midline urethral incision with the dartos flip flap is the main point for treatment of difficult urethral fistula after hypospadias operation.
Keywords: Hypospadias; Urethral fistula; Dartos flip flap
Copyright © 2018 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
1. Akbiyik F, Tiryaki T, Senel E, et al. Clinical experience in hypospadias: results of tubularized incised plate in 496 patients. Urology 2009;73(6):1255-7.
2. Belman AB. The de-epithelialized flap and its influence on Hypospadias repair. J Urol 1994;152:2332-4.
3. Djakovic N, Nyarangi-Dix J, Ozturk A, Hohenfellner M. Hypospadias. Adv Urol 2008;650135.
4. Baskin LS, Ebbers MB. Hypospadias: anatomy, etiology, and technique. J Pediatr Surg 2006;41(3):463-72.
5. Walker RD. Outpatient repair of urethral fistula. Urol Clin North Am 1981;8:573.
6. Elbarky A. Management of urethrocutaneous fistula after hypospadias repair: 10 years' experience. BJU Int 2001;88:590-5.
7. Goldstein HR, Hensle TW. Simplified closure of hypospadias fistulae. Urology 1981;18:504-5.
8. Cimador M, Castagnetti M, De Grazia E. Urethrocutaneous fistula repair after hypospadias surgery. BJU Int 2003;92:621-3.
9. Shapiro SR. Fistula Repair: Reconstructive and Plastic Surgery of the External Genitalia. Ehrlich and Alter; Publication city and year is missing 1989:132-6.
10. Moscona AR, Groven Yehudian J, Hirshowtitz B. Closure of urethral fistulae by transverse Y-V advancement flap. Br J Urol 1984;56:313-3.
11. Handoo Yog Raj. Role of Tunica Vaginalis interposition layer in hypospadias surgery. Indian J Plast Surg 2006;39:152-156.
12. Soni A. Repair of large urethrocutaneous fistula with Dartos based flip flap. Indian J Plast Surg 2007;40:34-8.
13. Handoo Yog Raj. Role of Tunica Vaginalis interposition layer in hypospadias surgery. Indian J Plast Surg 2006;39:152-156.
14. Mousavi SA. Use of tubularized incised plate urethroplasty for secondary hypospadias repair or repair in circumcised patients. Int Braz J Urol 2008;34(5):609-14.
15. Al-Sayyad A, Pike JG, Leonard MP. Redo hypospadias repair: experience at a tertiary care children's hospital. Can Urol Assoc J 2007;1(1):47-51.
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Who Can Become a Reviewer?
Any expert in the article's research field can become a reviewer with American Journal of BioMedicine. Editors might ask you to look at a specific aspect of an article.
Thank you for visiting American Journal of BioMedicine. * = Required fields
American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 58-62
Received October 14, 2018; accepted December 22, 2018; published January 28, 2019
How to cite this article
Auda MA, Saoudi MH. Fistula after hypospadias: preliminary treatment results. American Journal of BioMedicine 2019;7(1):58-62.
Case report outline