This study aims to determine the effect of Fertilaid and L- carnitine on the oxidative stress and seminal fluid parameters of the infertile male. One hundred male participants were involved in this study. Seminal fluid samples were collected in duplicates and they were exposed into two forms of in vitro treatments: Fertilaid, and traditional L carnitine. The in vitro sperm stimulation by L Carnitine and Fertilaid in nutrient mixture Ham's F-10 have a significant increase in the activity of the motile sperm (sperm/million) (30.99 for grade A; 30.25 for grade B and 29.68 for grade C) as compared to sperm activation using L carnitine (sperm/million) (27.03 for grade A; 27.40 for grade B and 22.16 for grade C), p<0.05. Seminal levels of Malondialdehyde (1.02 nmol/ml) was significantly elevated in the infertile samples as compared to the fertile samples (0.94 nmol/ml), P<0.05. This was associated with a significant reduction in the seminal levels of reduced glutathione in the infertile samples (5.67 nmol/ml) as compared to the fertile samples (7.10 nmol/ml), p<0.01. In conclusion, in vitro semen activation by fertilaid showed a significant increase in the overall semen parameters as compared to the activation by L. Carnitine.
Keywords: Fertilaid; Hams-F10; L Carnitine; Malondialdehyde; Glutathione; Male infertility
Copyright © 2019 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
1. B MA-A, Gutschi T, Pummer K, et al. Body mass index has no impact on sperm quality but on reproductive hormones levels. Andrologia 2014;46(2):106-11.
2. Ventimiglia E, Capogrosso P, Boeri L, et al. Infertility as a proxy of general male health: results of a cross-sectional survey. Fertility and sterility 2015;104(1):48-55.
3. Agarwal A, Sharma RK, Sharma R, et al. Characterizing semen parameters and their association with reactive oxygen species in infertile men. Reproductive biology and endocrinology RB&E 2014;12:33. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7827-12-33
4. Prathima P, Venkaiah K, Pavani R, et al. alpha-lipoic acid inhibits oxidative stress in testis and attenuates testicular toxicity in rats exposed to carbimazole during embryonic period. Toxicology reports 2017;4:373-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxrep.2017.06.009
5. Chehab M, Madala A, Trussell JC. On-label and off-label drugs used in the treatment of male infertility. Fertility and sterility 2015;103(3):595-604. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2014.12.122
6. Mandar R, Kullisaar T, Borovkova N, Punab M. Sexual intercourse with leukocytospermic men may be a possible booster of oxidative stress in female partners of infertile couples. Andrology 2013;1(3):464-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2047-2927.2012.00052.x
7. Rabijewski M. The treatment of hypogonadism and maintenance of fertility in men. Polski merkuriusz lekarski. organ Polskiego Towarzystwa Lekarskiego 2016;40(237):198-201.
8. Wang YX, Yang SW, Qu CB, et al. L-carnitine: safe and effective for asthenozoospermia]. Zhonghua nan ke xue = National journal of andrology 2010;16(5):420-2.
9. Sanchez-Alvarez J, Cano-Corres R, Fuentes-Arderiu X. A Complement for the WHO Laboratory Manual for the Examination and Processing of Human Semen (First Edition, 2010). Ejifcc 2012;23(3):103-6.
10. Shara MA, Dickson PH, Bagchi D, Stohs SJ. Excretion of formaldehyde, malondialdehyde, acetaldehyde and acetone in the urine of rats in response to 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin, paraquat, endrin and carbon tetrachloride. Journal of chromatography 1992;576(2):221-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-4347(92)80196-W
11. Akerboom TP, Sies H. Assay of glutathione, glutathione disulfide, and glutathione mixed disulfides in biological samples. Methods in enzymology 1981;77:373-82.
12. Galdon G, Atala A, Sadri-Ardekani H. In Vitro Spermatogenesis: How Far from Clinical Application? Current urology reports 2016;17(7):49. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11934-016-0605-3
13. Gibb Z, Lambourne SR, Aitken RJ. The paradoxical relationship between stallion fertility and oxidative stress. Biology of reproduction 2014;91(3):77.
14. Abdul Wahab AY, Md Isa ML, Ramli R. Spermatogonial Stem Cells Protein Identification in In Vitro Culture from Non-Obstructive Azoospermia Patient. The Malaysian journal of medical sciences. MJMS 2016;23(3):40-8.
15. Vani K, Kurakula M, Syed R, Alharbi K. Clinical relevance of vitamin C among lead-exposed infertile men. Genetic testing and molecular biomarkers 2012;16(9):1001-6.
16. Lewis SE, Sterling ES, Young IS, Thompson W. Comparison of individual antioxidants of sperm and seminal plasma in fertile and infertile men. Fertility and sterility 1997;67(1):142-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0015-0282(97)81871-7
17. Aliakbari F, Gilani MA, Amidi F, et al. Improving the Efficacy of Cryopreservation of Spermatogonia Stem Cells by Antioxidant Supplements. Cellular reprogramming 2016;18(2):87-95. https://doi.org/10.1089/cell.2015.0067
18. Lee JW, Chang HC, Wu HY, et al. Effects of sperm pretreatment and embryo activation methods on the development of bovine embryos produced by intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Reproductive biology 2015;15(3):154-62.
19. Aboulmaouahib S, Madkour A, Kaarouch I, et al. Impact of alcohol and cigarette smoking consumption in male fertility potential: Looks at lipid peroxidation, enzymatic antioxidant activities and sperm DNA damage. Andrologia 2017. https://doi.org/10.1111/and.12926
20. Al-Aubaidy HA, Jelinek HF. Oxidative DNA damage and obesity in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Eur J Endocrinol 2011;164(6):899-904. https://doi.org/10.1530/EJE-11-0053
21. NG Yousif. Fibronectin promotes migration and invasion of ovarian cancer cells through up‐regulation of FAK-PI 3 K/A kt pathway The Effects on Oxidative Stress. Cell biology international 2014;38: 85-91. https://doi.org/10.1002/cbin.10184
22. Butkowski EG, Al-Aubaidy HA, Jelinek HF. Interaction of homocysteine, glutathione and 8-hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine in metabolic syndrome progression. Clin Biochem 2017;50(3):116-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2016.10.006
23. Yu B, Huang Z. Variations in Antioxidant Genes and Male Infertility. BioMed research international 2015;2015:513196. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/513196
24. Aydemir B, Onaran I, Kiziler AR, Alici B, Akyolcu MC. Increased oxidative damage of sperm and seminal plasma in men with idiopathic infertility is higher in patients with glutathione S-transferase Mu-1 null genotype. Asian J Androl 2007;9(1):108-15. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7262.2007.00237.x
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Who Can Become a Reviewer?
Any expert in the article's research field can become a reviewer with American Journal of BioMedicine. Editors might ask you to look at a specific aspect of an article.
Thank you for visiting American Journal of BioMedicine. * = Required fields
American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 8, Issue 2, pages 65-72
Received October 11, 2019; accepted February 02, 2020; published February 23, 2020
How to cite this article
Hamashareef SR, Alwasiti1 EA, Tahseen YH, Hussein MM, Al-Aubaidy HA. A new stimulatory method for activation of sperm functions using Fertilaid in male infertility. American Journal of BioMedicine 2020;8(2):/65-72.
Case report outline