American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 10, Issue 1, pages 1-5
Aran A Groover1, Natalia A. Huan
Tuberculosis (TB) is one of disease that affects people of all age groups in many countries. The incidence of new is decreasing at rate about 2%/year due to the advances in medical diagnosis and treatment. The primary TB infection or reactivation of latent TB can be spread as result of impaired cell-mediated immunity resulted in uncontrolled disseminated of Mycobacterium tuberculosis through lymphohematogenous system. While, immunocompromise patients such as HIV/AIDS infection, use of immunosuppressive drugs, organ transplant, malnutrition, alcohol use, pregnancy, silicosis, and underlying malignancy are at high risk for development of Miliary TB. It usually has an insidious clinical manifestation including fever, weight loss, night sweats, and little in the way of localizing symptoms or signs. There may be concurrent TB meningitis with associated symptoms. A 35-year old male has known case of pulmonary TB and HCV before three years ago. Presented to emergency department with fever since 3-weeks ago, abdomen pain, headache since 10 days.
Keywords: Miliary Tuberculosis (TB), HCV, Meningitis
Copyright © 2022 by American Journal of BioMedicine, Inc.
- Sharma SK, Mohan A. Tuberculosis: from an incurable scourge to a curable disease-journey over a millennium. Indian J Med Res 2013; 137: 455-493.
- Kıraç FS. Is ethics approval necessary for all trials? A clear but not certain process. Mol Imaging Radionucl Ther 2013; 22: 73-5.
- Eisenach KD, Cave MD, Bates JH, et al. Polymerase chain reaction amplification of a repetitive DNA sequence specific for Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Infect Dis 1990; 161: 977-81.
- Mert A, Ozaras R. Clinical importance of miliary pattern in the chest X-ray of a patient with fever of unknown origin. Intern Med Tokyo Jpn 2005; 44: 161.
- Sharma SK, Mohan A, Sharma A, et al. Miliary tuberculosis: new insights into an old disease. Lancet Infect Dis 2005; 5: 415-30.
- World Health Organization. Global tuberculosis report 2015. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2015.
- Rajagopala S, Sankari S, Kancherla R. Miliary Sarcoidosis: does it exist? A case series and systematic review of literature. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 2020; 37(1): 53-65.
- Tana C, Donatiello I, Coppola MG, Ricci F, et al. CT Findings in Pulmonary and Abdominal Sarcoidosis. Implications for Diagnosis and Classification. J Clin Med 2020; 9(9): 3028.
- McGuinness G, Naidich DP, Jagirdar J, et al. High resolution CT findings in miliary lung disease. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1992; 16: 384-90.
- Kim JH, Langston AA, Gallis HA. Miliary tuberculosis: epidemiology, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and outcome. Rev Infect Dis 1990; 12: 583-90.
- Myers JN. Miliary, central nervous system, and genitourinary tuberculosis. Dis Mon 2007; 53(1): 22-31.
- Lui G, Wong RY, Li F. High mortality in adults hospitalized for active tuberculosis in a low HIV prevalence setting. PLoS One. 2014; 9(3): e92077.
- Aksenova VA, Sen'kina TI. Extrapulmonary tuberculosis in children in Russia (epidemiology, clinical forms and their study. Probl Tuberk 2001; (4): 6-9.
- Mert A, Arslan F, Kuyucu T, et al. Miliary tuberculosis: Epidemiological and clinical analysis of large-case series from moderate to low tuberculosis endemic Country. Medicine (Baltimore) 2017; 96(5): e5875.
- Cunha BA, Krakakis J, McDermott BP. Fever of unknown origin (FUO) caused by miliary tuberculosis: diagnostic significance of morning temperature spikes. Heart Lung 2009; 38(1): 77-82.
- Yilmaz T, Selcuk E, Polat N, Mutlu K. Choroidal tuberculoma showing paradoxical worsening in a patient with miliary TB. Ocul Immunol Inflamm 2015; 23(1): 97-9.
- Criado E, Sanchez M, Ramirez J, et al. Pulmonary sarcoidosis: typical and atypical manifestations at high-resolution CT with pathologic correlation. Radiographics: a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc 2010; 30(6): 1567-86.
- Koyama T, Ueda H, Togashi K, Umeoka S, Kataoka M, Nagai S. Radiologic manifestations of sarcoidosis in various organs. Radiographics: a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 2004; 24(1): 87-104.
- Gupta D, Agarwal R, Aggarwal AN, Jindal SK. Sarcoidosis and tuberculosis: the same disease with different manifestations or similar manifestations of different disorders. Curr Opin Pulm Med 2012; 18(5): 506-16.
- Kumar P, Jaco MJ, Pandit AG, et al. Miliary sarcoidosis with secondary Sjogren's syndrome. The Journal of the Association of Physicians of India 2013; 61(7): 505-7.
- Matsuura S, Mochizuka Y, Oishi K, et al. Sarcoidosis with Pancreatic Mass, Endobronchial Nodules, and Miliary Opacities in the Lung. Internal medicine (Tokyo, Japan) 2017; 56(22): 3083-7.
- Lai RP, Meintjes G, Wilkinson RJ. HIV-1 tuberculosis-associated immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome. Semin Immunopathol 2016; 38: 185-198.
- Bell LC, Breen R, Miller RF, Noursadeghi M, Lipman M. Paradoxical reactions and immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome in tuberculosis. Int J Infect Dis 2015; 32: 39-45.
- Cevaal PM, Bekker LG, Hermans S. TB-IRIS pathogenesis and new strategies for intervention: Insights from related inflammatory disorders. Tuberculosis (Edinb) 2019; 118: 101863.
- de Sa NBR, Ribeiro-Alves M, da Silva TP, et al. Clinical and genetic markers associated with tuberculosis, HIV-1 infection, and TB/HIV-immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome outcomes. BMC Infect Dis 2020; 20: 59.
- Narendran G, Andrade BB, Porter BO, et al. Paradoxical tuberculosis immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome (TB-IRIS) in HIV patients with culture confirmed pulmonary tuberculosis in India and the potential role of IL-6 in prediction. PLoS One 2013; 8: e63541.
- Eshun-Wilson I, Havers F, Nachega JB, et al. Evaluation of paradoxical TB-associated IRIS with the use of standardized case definitions for resource-limited settings. J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic) 2010; 9: 104-108.
- Orme IM, Robinson RT, Cooper AM. The balance between protective and pathogenic immune responses in the TB-infected lung. Nat Immunol 2015; 16: 57-63.
- Pang Y, An J, Shu W, et al. Epidemiology of Extrapulmonary tuberculosis among inpatients, China, 2008-2017. Emerg Infect Dis 2019; 25: 457-464.
- Yodmalai S, Chiewchanvit S, Mahanupab P. Cutaneous miliary tuberculosis in a renal transplant patient: a case report and literature review. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 2011; 42(3): 674-8.
For any technique error please contact us
American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 10, Issue 1, pages 1-5
Received October 12, 2021; revised December 22, 2021; accepted January 05, 2022; published January 16, 2022
How to cite this article
Groover AA, Huang NA. Treatment of disseminated TB with drug induced hepatitis/case study. American Journal of BioMedicine 2021;10(1):1-5.