Vikas A. Kent¹, Luís Afonso, Romero Marsden
A 32-year-old man was admitted with chronic skin lesions. He developed a new lesions with huge splenomegaly. The clinical manifestations and investigation confirmed diagnosis of cutaneous leishmaniasis (CL) by parasite detection, indirect immunofluorescence, Montenegro skin test, polymerase chain reaction, and parasite identification by multilocus enzyme electrophoresis. The lesion was unresponsive to complete courses of Sodium stibogluconate (Sbb). The patient did not tolerate amphotericin B. It is essential to ensure the accuracy of diagnosis and the appropriate treatment, which can include the use a second choice drug or a different route of administration.
Keywords: leishmaniasis; Sodium stibogluconate; Amphotericin B
Copyright © 2016 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
- Al Tuwaijri A S, Al Mofleh I A, Mahmoud A A. Effect of Leishmania major on human polymorphonuclear leucocyte function in vitro. J Med Microbiol 1990;32:189-193. [PubMed]
- Berman J D, Waddell D, Hanson B D. Biochemical mechanisms of the antileishmanial activity of sodium stibogluconate. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1985;27:916-920. [PubMed]
- Liew F Y, Millott S, Parkinson C, Palmer R M, Moncada S. Macrophage killing of Leishmania parasite in vivo is mediated by nitric oxide from l-arginine. J Immunol 1990;144:4794-4797. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Laguna F, Videla S, Jiménez-Mejías ME, et al. Amphotericin B lipid complex versus meglumine antimoniate in the treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in patients infected with HIV: a randomized pilot study. J Antimicrob Chemother 2003;52:464-8. [PubMed]
- Cascio A, Colomba C. Childhood Mediterranean visceral leishmaniasis. Infez Med 2003;11:5-10. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Firooz A, Khamesipour A, Ghoorchi MH, et al. Imiquimod in combination with meglumine antimoniate for cutaneous leishmaniasis. Arch Dermatol 2006;142:1575-79. [PubMed]
- Sundar S, More DK, Singh MK, et al. Failure of pentavalent antimony in visceral leishmaniasis in India: report from the center of the Indian epidemic. Clin Infect Dis 2000;31:1104-7. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Rijal S, Chappuis F, Singh R, et al. Treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in south-eastern Nepal: decreasing efficacy of sodium stibogluconate and need for a policy to limit further decline. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2003;97:350-4. [PubMed]
- Laguna F, Videla S, Jiménez-Mejías ME, et al. Amphotericin B lipid complex versus meglumine antimoniate in the treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in patients infected with HIV: a randomized pilot study. J Antimicrob Chemother 2003;52:464-8. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Vickers TJ, Greig N, Fairlamb AH. A trypanothione-dependent glyoxalase I with a prokaryotic ancestry in Leishmania major. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2004;101:13186-91. [PubMed]
- Sudhandiran G, Shaha C. Antimonial-induced increase in intracellular Ca2+ through non-selective cation channels in the host and the parasite is responsible for apoptosis of intracellular Leishmania donovani amastigotes. J Biol Chem 2003;278:25120-32. [PubMed]
- El Fadili K, Messier N, Leprohon P, et al. Role of the ABC transporter MRPA (PGPA) in antimony resistance in Leishmania infantum axenic and intracellular amastigotes. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2005;49:1988-93. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Singh N, Singh RT, Sundar S. Novel mechanism of drug resistance in kala azar field isolates. J Infect Dis 2003;188:600-7. [PubMed]
- Nacher M, Carme B, Sainte Marie D, et al. Influence of clinical presentation on the efficacy of a short course of pentamidine in the treatment of cutaneous leishmaniasis in French Guiana. Ann Trop Med Parasitol 2001;95:331-6. [PubMed]
READ THE FULL ARTICLE
1. Access this article through OpenAthens
3. Purchase this article at rate $55.00 and received Full-Text/PDF
You will have online immediate access to article following the completion of this purchase and you may download and print a copy of each article for your personal use. Use the coding below to purchase your article as PDF by credit card, debit card, will be asked to supply your billing card information. Before continue with your purchase please read carefully the BM-Publisher terms and conditions of purchase.
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Who Can Become a Reviewer?
Any expert in the article's research field can become a reviewer with American Journal of Biomedicine. Editors might ask you to look at a specific aspect of an article,...
Thank you for visiting American Journal of BioMedicine. * = Required fields
Error: Contact form not found.
American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 4, Issue 11, pages 444-454
Received July 21, 2016; accepted October 25, 2016; published November 04, 2016
How to cite this article
Kent VA, Afonso K, Marsden R. IA case report of diffuse cutaneous leishmaniasis in resistance to Sodium stibogluconate (Sbb). American Journal of BioMedicine 2016;4(11):444-454.
2. Clinical features