Zainab Ali Abd_Alrahman, Noor Abass Hummadi, Huda Ali Hussaini*, Sajid H-al-Helfy, Wasan Ismail Al-Saadi
Thyroid nodule represents diagnostic challenge. Conventional ultrasound provides information regarding the nodule`s shape but does not provide clue regarding its hardness. Strain Elastography is a promising technique that assess tissue elasticity. The objectives of this study is assessed the validity of conventional US features and elastographic parameters regarding characterization of solid thyroid nodules. The prospective study design of this study included 30 patients with thyroid nodule assessed initially by US then elastography to define elasto score and strain ratio. 23 nodules were benign 7 were malignant as confirmed at histopathology. The most sensitive US features to predict malignancy were nodule orientation and microcalcification, with overall US TIRADs sensitivity of 50% and specificity of 100%. On the other hand, comparable sensitivity of elasto score and strain ratio of 85.7% with higher specificity for the latter (93.2% vs.73.9%). Combination of conventional US and elastography features raised the sensitivity & specificity to 95% and 100 % respectively. A cutoff strain ratio of 2.88 was optimum to differentiate benign from malignant nodules. In conclusion; combination of US\USE improves differentiation benign from malignant nodules and recommended in daily practice to characterize thyroid nodules.
Keywords: Thyroid nodules; TIRADS; Ultrasound elastography; Elasticity score; Strain ratio
Copyright © 2017 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
- Ezzat S, Sarti DA, Cain DR, Braunstein GD. Thyroid incidentalomas: prevalence by palpation and ultrason-ography. Arch Intern Med 2004;154:1838-1840.
- Iannuccilli J, Cronan J, Monchik JM. Risk for malignancy of thyroid nodules as assessed by sonographic criteria: the need for biopsy. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine 2004;23:1455-1464.
- Hoang JK, Wai KL, Lee M, Johnson D, Farrell S. US features of thyroid malignancy: pearls and pitfalls. Radiographics 2007;27:847-860.
- Moon HG, Jung EJ, Park ST, et al. Role of ultrasonography in predicting malignancy in patients with thyroid nodules. World Journal of Surgery 2007;31:1410-1416.
- Fish SA, Langer JE, Mandel SJ. Sonographic imaging of thyroinodules and cervical lymph nodes. Endocr-inology and Metabolism Clinics of North America 2008;37:401-417.
- Kim HG, Moon HJ, Kwak JY, Kim EK. Diagnostic accuracy of the ultrasonographic features for sub-centimeter thyroid nodules suggested by the revised American thyroid association guidelines. Thyroid 2013;23:1583-1589.
- Russ G, Royer B, Bigorgne C, et al. Prospective evaluation of thyroid imaging reporting and data system on 4550 nodules with and without elastography. Eur J Endocrinol 2013;168:649-655.
- Cooper DS, Doherty GM, Haugen BR et al. Revised American thyroid association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid 2009;19:1167-1214.
- Cooper DS, Doherty GM, Haugen BR et al. Management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid 2006;16:109-141.
- Gharib H, Papini E, Paschke R et al. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, Associazione Medici Endocrinologi, and European Thyroid Association Medical guidelines for clinical practice for the diagnosis and management of thyroid nodules. Endocrine Practice 2010;16:1-43.
- Hegedus L. Clinical practice. The thyroid nodule. The New England Journal of Medicine 2004;351:1764-1771.
- Tee YY, Lowe AJ, Brand CA, Judson RT. Fine-needle aspiration may miss a third of all malignancy in palpable thyroid nodules: a comprehensive literature review. Annals of Surgery 2007;246:14-720.
- Peng Y and Wang HH. A meta-analysis of comparing fine needle aspiration and frozen section for evaluating thyroid nodules. Diagnostic Cytopathology 2008;36:916-920.
- Oertel YC, Miyahara-Felipe L, Mendoza MG,Yu K. Value of repeated fine needle aspirations of the thyroid: an analysis of over ten thousand FNAs. Thyroid 2007;17:1061-1066.
- Ueno E, Itoh A. Diagnosis of breast cancer by elasticity imaging. Eizo Joho Medical 2004;36(12):2-6.
- Rubaltelli L, Corradin S, Dorigo A, et al. Differential diagnosis of benign and malignant thyroid nodules at elastosonography. Ultraschall in der Medizin 2009;30(2):175-9.
- LyshchikA, Higashi T, Asato R, et al. Thyroid gland tumor diagnosis at US elastography. Radiology 2005;237:202-211.
- Lyshchik A, Tatsuya Higashi T. Cervical Lymph Node Metastases: Diagnosis at Sonoelastography-Initial Experience. RASNA. Radiology 2007;243.
- Garra BS, Cespedes EI, Ophir J, et al. Elastography of breast lesions: initial clinical results. Radiology 1997;202:79-86.
- Cochlin DL, Ganatra RH, Griffiths DF. Elastography in the detection of prostatic cancer. Clin Radiol 2002;57:1014-1020.
- Cantisani V, Grazhdani H, Drakonaki E et al. Strain US Elasto-graphy for the Characterization of Thyroid Nodules: Advantages and Limitation. International Journal of Endocrinology 2015;908575.
- Asteria C, Giovanardi A, Pizzocaro A, et al. US-elastography in the differential diagnosis of benign and malignant thyroid nodules. Thyroid 2008;18:523-531.
- Perros P. Guidelines for the management of thyroid cancer. British Thyroid Association and Royal College of Physicians. Report of the Thyroid Cancer Guidelines Update Group, 2007.
- Solbiativolterani L et al. The thyroid gland with low up take lesion, evaluation by ultrasound. Radiology 2005;155:187-9.
- Nachiappan AC, Metwalli ZA, Hailey BS et al. The Thyroid: Review of Imaging Features and Biopsy Techniques with Radiologic-Pathologic Correlation. Radiographics 2014;34:276-293.
- Moon HJ, Sung JM, Kim EK, et al. Diagnostic performance of gray-scale US and elastography in solid thyroid nodules. Radiology 2012;262:1002-1013.
- KoikeE, Noguchi S, Yamashita H, et al. Ultrasonographic characteristics of thyroid nodules: prediction of malignancy. Arch Surg 2001;136(3): 334-337.
- Moifo B, Takoeta E, Tambe J, et al. Reliability of Thyroid Imaging Reporting and Data System (TIRADS) Classification in Differentiating Benign from Malignant Thyroid Nodules. Open Journal of Radiology 2013;3:103-107.
- Watters DA, Ahuja AT, Evans RM, et al. Role of ultrasound in the management of thyroid nodules. Am J Surg 2002;164(6):654-657.
- Wienke JR, Chong WK, Fielding JR, Zou KH, Mittelstaedt CA. Sonographic features of benign thyroid nodules: interobserver reliability and overlap with malignancy. J Ultrasound Med 2003;22:1027-1031.
- Frates MC, Benson CB, Charboneau JW, et al. Management of thyroid nodules detected at US: Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound consensus conference statement. Radiology 2005; 237(3):794-800.
- Salmaslioglu A, Erbil Y, Dural C, et al. Predictive value of sonographic features in preoperative evaluation of malignant thyroid nodules in a multinodular goiter. World J Surg 2008;32:1948-1954.
- Chan BK, Desser TS, McDougall IR, Weigel RJ, Jeffrey RB Jr. Common and uncommon sonographic features of papillary thyroid carcinoma. J Ultrasound Med 2003;22(10):1083-1090.
- Frates MC, Benson CB, Doubilet PM, Cibas ES, Marqusee E. Can color Doppler sonography aid in the prediction of malignancy of thyroid nodules? J Ultrasound Med 2003;22(2): 127-131.
- Hoang JK, Lee WK, Lee M, Johnson D, Farrell S. US Features of thyroid malignancy: pearls and pitfalls. Radiographics 2007;27:847-60.
- Papini E, Guglielmi R, Bianchini A, et al. Risk of malignancy in nonpalpable thyroid nodules: predictive value of US and color-Doppler features. J ClinEndocrinolMetab 2002;87:1941-6.
- Rosi J, Rosai, Ackerman, surgical pathology. 10thedition, 2011. volume 1, chapter 1, p478-546.
- Rago T, Santini F, Scutari M, Pinchera A, Vitti P. Elastography: new developments in ultrasound for predicting malignancy in thyroid nodules. J ClinEndocrinolMetab 2007;92:2917-22.
- Abbas W, Idrees T, Fahd Q. Ultrasound elastography in differentiating between benign and malignant thyroid nodules. A Dissertation Submitted to the Arabic Scientific Council of Diagnostic. Radiology
- Wang H, Brylka D, Sun L, Lin Y, Sui G, Gaob J. Comparison of strain ratio with elastography score system in differentiating malignant from benign thyroid nodules. Clin Imaging 2013;37(1):50-5.
- Wang H, Zhang S, Xin X, et al. Application of real-time ultrasound elastography in diagnosing benign and malignant thyroid solid nodules. Cancer Bio Med 2012;9(2):124-7.
- Refaat R, Kamel A, Elganzory M. Awad NM. Can real-time ultrasound elastography using the color score and strain ratio differentiate between benign and malignant solitary thyroid nodules? Egypt J RadiolNucl Med 2014;45(1):75-87.
- Ning CP, Jiang SQ, Zhang T, Sun LT, Liu YJ, Tian JW. The value of strain ratio in differential diagnosis of thyroid solid nodules. Eur J Radiol 2012;81(2):286-91.
- Lyshchik A, Higashi T, Asato R, et al. Thyroid gland tumor diagnosis at US elastography. Radiology 2005;237(1):202-211.
- Kagoya R, Monobe H, Tojima H. Utility of elastographyfordifferential diagnosis of benign and malignant thyroid nodules. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2010;143:230-4.
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Who Can Become a Reviewer?
Any expert in the article's research field can become a reviewer with American Journal of Biomedicine. Editors might ask you to look at a specific aspect of an article.
Thank you for visiting American Journal of BioMedicine. * = Required fields
Error: Contact form not found.
Error: Contact form not found.
American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 5, Issue 10, pages 538-557
Received July 04, 2017; accepted September 22, 2017; published October 25, 2017
How to cite this article
Abd_Alrahman ZA, Hummadi NA, Hussaini HA, Al-Helfy SH, Al-Saadi WI. EConventional sonography and strain sonoelastography in the evaluation of solid thyroid nodules. American Journal of BioMedicine 2017;5(10):538-557.
Case report outline