Bladder cancer is the second most common cancer of the genitourinary tract. Radical cystectomy is considered the gold standard of treatment for patients with localized muscle-invasive disease (MIBC), although chemoradiotherapy protocols using neoadjuvant cisplatin-based chemotherapy is used for muscle-invasive bladder cancer. We explored the toxicity and efficacy of neoadjuvant AMVAC in MIBC. A total of 177 patients with clinical tumor–node–metastases (TNM) stage T2N0M0 to T4aN0M0 bladder cancer who were candidates for radical cystectomy were eligible, tumors were staged according to the criteria in the fourth edition of the American Joint Committee on Cancer staging manual. Grade ≥ 2 toxicities were observed in 8% of patients, with grade 3 and 4 neutropenia in 7% and 5% patients, respectively; grade 3 and 4 anemia in 4% and 2% of patients, respectively; no patients died of drug toxicity; 61% of patients were accrued; 16% were down-staged to non–muscle invasive disease. Further, 31% showing pT0 at cystectomy and the median survival was 16.9 months.
Keywords: Bladder cancer; MIBC; neoadjuvant; AMVAC; Toxicity and efficacy
Copyright © 2015 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
- Advanced Bladder Cancer Meta-analysis Collaboration Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in invasive bladder cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet. 2003;361:1927-1934.
- Advanced Bladder Cancer (ABC) Meta-analysis Collaboration Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in invasive bladder cancer: Update of a systematic review and meta-analysis of individual patient data advanced bladder cancer (ABC) meta-analysis collaboration. Eur Urol. 2005;48:202-205; discussion 205-206.
- Winquist E, Kirchner TS, Segal R, et al. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Urol. 2004;171:561-569.
- von der Maase H, Sengelov L, Roberts JT, et al. Long-term survival results of a randomized trial comparing gemcitabine plus cisplatin, with methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, plus cisplatin in patients with bladder cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23:4602-4608.
- Tierney JF, Stewart LA, Ghersi D, et al. Practical methods for incorporating summary time-to-event data into meta-analysis. Trials. 2007;8:16.
- Natale RB, Grossman HB, Blumenstein B, et al. SWOG 8710 (int-0080): Randomized phase III trial of neoadjuvant MVAC + cystectomy versus cystectomy alone in patients with locally advanced bladder cancer. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2001;20:2a.
- Wallace DM, Raghavan D, Kelly KA, et al. Neo-adjuvant (pre-emptive) cisplatin therapy in invasive transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder. Br J Urol. 1991;67:608-615.
- Martinez-Piñeiro JA, Gonzalez Martin M, Arocena F, et al. Neoadjuvant cisplatin chemotherapy before radical cystectomy in invasive transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder: A prospective randomized phase III study. J Urol. 1995;153:964-973.
- Shipley WU, Winter KA, Kaufman DS, et al. Phase III trial of neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with invasive bladder cancer treated with selective bladder preservation by combined radiation therapy and chemotherapy: Initial results of Radiation Therapy Oncology Group 89-03. J Clin Oncol. 1998;16:3576-3583.
- Dogliotti L, Cartenì G, Siena S, et al. Gemcitabine plus cisplatin versus gemcitabine plus carboplatin as first-line chemotherapy in advanced transitional cell carcinoma of the urothelium: Results of a randomized phase 2 trial. Eur Urol. 2007;52:134-141.
- Yuh BE, Ruel N, Wilson TG, et al. Pooled analysis of clinical outcomes with neoadjuvant cisplatin and gemcitabine chemotherapy for muscle invasive bladder cancer. J Urol. 2013;189:1682-1686.
- Sternberg C.Yagoda A.Scher H.I.et al.Preliminary results of M-VAC (methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin) for transitional cell carcinoma of the urothelium.J Urol. 1985; 133: 403-407
- Griffiths G, Hall R, Sylvester R, et al. International phase III trial assessing neoadjuvant cisplatin, methotrexate, and vinblastine chemotherapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer: long-term results of the BA06 30894 trial. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29:2171-2177. PMid:21502557
- Adjuvant chemotherapy in invasive bladder cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of individual patient data Advanced Bladder Cancer (ABC) Meta-analysis Collaboration. Eur Urol. 2005;48:189-199. discussion 199-201.
- Booth CM, Siemens DR, Li G, et al. Perioperative chemotherapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer: A population-based outcomes study. Cancer. 2014
- Kragelj B, Zaletel-Kragelj L, Sedmak B, et al. Phase II study of radiochemotherapy with vinblastine in invasive bladder cancer. Radiother Oncol. 2005;75:44-47.
- James ND, Hussain SA, Hall E, et al. Radiotherapy with or without chemotherapy in muscle-invasive bladder cancer. N Engl J Med. 2012;366:1477-1488. PMid:22512481
- Kaufman DS, Shipley WU, Griffin PP, et al. Selective bladder preservation by combination treatment of invasive bladder cancer. N Engl J Med. 1993;329:1377-1382.
- Gogna NK, Matthews JH, Turner SL, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of concurrent weekly low dose cisplatin during radiation treatment of localised muscle invasive bladder transitional cell carcinoma: a report of two sequential Phase II studies from the Trans Tasman Radiation Oncology Group. Radiother Oncol. 2006;81:9-17.
- Lagrange JL, Bascoul-Mollevi C, Geoffrois L, et al. Quality of life assessment after concurrent chemoradiation for invasive bladder cancer: results of a multicenter prospective study (GETUG 97-015) Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011;79:172-178.
- Herman JM, Smith DC, Montie J, et al. Prospective quality-of-life assessment in patients receiving concurrent gemcitabine and radiotherapy as a bladder preservation strategy. Urology. 2004;64:69-73.
- Loehrer PJ, Sr, Einhorn LH, Elson PJ, et al. A randomized comparison of cisplatin alone or in combination with methotrexate, vinblastine, and doxorubicin in patients with metastatic urothelial carcinoma: a cooperative group study. J Clin Oncol. 1992;10:1066-1073.
- von der Maase H, Hansen SW, Roberts JT, et al. Gemcitabine and cisplatin versus methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin in advanced or metastatic bladder cancer: results of a large, randomized, multinational, multicenter, phase III study. J Clin Oncol. 2000;18:3068-3077.
- Bamias A, Dafni U, Karadimou A, et al. Prospective, open-label, randomized, phase III study of two dose-dense regimens MVAC versus gemcitabine/cisplatin in patients with inoperable, metastatic or relapsed urothelial cancer: a Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group study (HE 16/03) Ann Oncol. 2013;24:1011-1017.
- Bamias A, Moulopoulos LA, Koutras A, et al. The combination of gemcitabine and carboplatin as first-line treatment in patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma. A Phase II study of the Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group. Cancer. 2006;106:297-303.
- Carles J, Esteban E, Climent M, et al. Gemcitabine and oxaliplatin combination: a multicenter phase II trial in unfit patients with locally advanced or metastatic urothelial cancer. Ann Oncol. 2007;18:1359-1362.
- Dogliotti L, Carteni G, Siena S, et al. Gemcitabine plus cisplatin versus gemcitabine plus carboplatin as first-line chemotherapy in advanced transitional cell carcinoma of the urothelium: results of a randomized phase 2 trial. Eur Urol. 2007;52:134-141. PMid:17207911
- Hainsworth JD, Meluch AA, Litchy S, et al. Paclitaxel, carboplatin, and gemcitabine in the treatment of patients with advanced transitional cell carcinoma of the urothelium. Cancer. 2005;103:2298-2303.
- Dumez H, Martens M, Selleslach J, et al. Docetaxel and gemcitabine combination therapy in advanced transitional cell carcinoma of the urothelium: results of a phase II and pharmacologic study. Anticancer Drugs. 2007;18:211-218.
Dreicer R, Li H, Cooney MM, et al. Phase 2 trial of pemetrexed disodium and gemcitabine in advanced urothelial cancer (E4802): a trial of the
- Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. Cancer. 2008;112:2671-2675.
Rozzi A, Santini D, Salerno M, et al. Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin as third-line chemotherapy in patients with metastatic transitional cell carcinoma of urothelial tract: results of a phase II study. Med Oncol. 2013;30:407.
- Sweeney CJ, Roth BJ, Kabbinavar FF, et al. Phase II study of pemetrexed for second-line treatment of transitional cell cancer of the urothelium. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24:3451-3457.
- Bellmunt J, Fougeray R, Rosenberg JE, et al. Long-term survival results of a randomized phase III trial of vinflunine plus best supportive care versus best supportive care alone in advanced urothelial carcinoma patients after failure of platinum-based chemotherapy. Ann Oncol. 2013;24:1466-1472.
For any technique error please contact us
American Journal of BioMedicine 2015, Volume 3, Issue 4, pages 282-294
Received July 05, 2015; accepted October 28, 2015; Published November 04, 2015
How to cite this article
Grabstald WM, Sarkis RH, Jacobus CA, Feifer SV. Neoadjuvant accelerated MVAC therapy in bladder cancer: toxicity and efficacy correlation. American Journal of BioMedicine 2015;3(4):282-294