Left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH) is a strong predictor of cardiovascular disease and is common among patients with diabetes (DM), it is an independent risk factor for myocardial ischemia, cardiac arrhythmia, sudden death, and heart failure. The aim of this cross-sectional study is to see if there is any relationship between LVH diabetes in regarding to type of DM, its duration, type of treatment, HbA1c level, lipid profile, Body mass index (BMI), age of patients. A total 101 patients recruited from inpatient outpatient of internal medicine clinic, in Imam Al Hussein Medical City in Karbala during period from May 2016 to May 2017. Different parameters were studied including patients age, BMI, BSA. Blood pressure (BP) was measured with mercury sphygmomanometer. Investigations were done including: CBC, ECG, HbA1c, blood urea creatinine, lipid profile. Echocardiography was used to measure left Ventricular (LV) dimension Doppler study to assess the diastolic function. Females number was 56, males 45. Thirty-six patients had type1DM, 64 type 2 and 1 had gestational DM. Duration of DM range from < 1 year to > 20 years. Nearly 34 patients used insulin, 40 Oral hypoglycemic agents (OHA), 12 combination of both, 15 without treatment. From echo study, 60.40% of patients had normal LVM, 39.60% had increased LVM. Diastolic function assessment revealed that 37.6% of patients had diastolic dysfunction (DD). There was no significant correlation between LVH DM characteristics, but it was more incidence in patients with older age in those with higher BSA, BMI.
Keywords: Diabetes; Left ventricle mass; ECG; Echocardiography
Copyright © 2019 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
- Philip A. Masters, MKSAP 17 Medical Knowledge Self-Assessment Program, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Disorders of Glucose Metabolism, Diabetes Mellitus 2015;1.
- Pearson ER, McCrimmon RJ. Davidsons Principles and Practice of medicine (Diabetes mellitus) 2014:826
- Lorell C. Left ventricular hypertrophy pathogenesis, detection, prognosis. Circulation 2001;102:470-479.
- Bauml MA, Underwood DA. Department of Internal Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, Left ventricular hypertrophy: An overlooked cardiovascular risk factor. Cleve Clin J Med. 2010;77(6):381-7.
- Podrid PJ. Left ventricular hypertrophy and arrhythmia. 6 (2015).
- Pewsner D, Jüni P, Egger M. Accuracy of electrocardiography in diagnosis of left ventricular hypertrophy in arterial hypertension: systematic review. BMJ 2007;335:711.
- Cuspidi C, Meani S. Left ventricular hypertrophy & cardiovascular risk stratification: impact & cost effectiveness of echocardiography 2006;24:1671-1677.
- Whelton PK, Carey RM, ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA /ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA Guideline for the Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Management of High Blood Pressure inAdults, 2017.
- Lang R. Recommendations for Cardiac Chamber Quantification by Echocardiography in Adults: An Update from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2015;28(1):1-39.
- Lang RM, Badano LP, Mor-Avi V, et al. Recommendations for cardiac chamber quantification by echocardiography in adults: an update from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging. J Am SocEchocardiogr 2015;28:1-39.
- Eguchi K, Boden-Albala B, Jin Z, et al. Association between diabetes mellitus and left ventricular hypertrophy in a multiethnic population. Am J Cardiol 2008;101(12):1787-1791.
- Rothangpui1, Thiyam G, Gangmei A. Correlation of Blood Sugar, Serum Lipid Profile, Blood Pressure, Duration of Diabetes in A Patient with Diabetic Cardiomyopathy- A Hospital Based Study In Manipur- India. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR-JDMS) 2015;14:19-27.
- Turkbey EB, Yu C. Backlund, MPH, Myocardial Structure, Function, and Scar in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. American Heart Association Circulation 2011;124(16):1737-1746.
- Santra S, Basu AK, Roychowdhury P, et al. Comparison of left ventricular mass in normotensive type 2 diabetes mellitus patients with that in the non-diabetic population. Journal of Cardiovascular Disease Research 2011;2: 50-56.
- Strait JB, Lakatta EG. Aging associated Cardiovascular changes and their relationship to heart failure Heart Fail Clin 2011;8(1):143-164.
- Korre M, Porto L. Effect of Body Mass Index on Left Ventricular Mass in Career Male Firefighters. Am J Cardiol 2016;118(11):1769-1773.
- Cioffi G, Faggiano P. Left ventricular dysfunction and outcome at two-year follow-up inpatients with type 2 diabetes: The DYDA study. Diabetes Res ClinPract 2013;101:236:42.
- Suresh G, Alva R. Prevalence of Asymptomatic Left Ventricular Diastolic Dysfunction in Type 2 Diabetic Patients and Healthy Controls: A Comparative Study, Archives of Medicine and Health Sciences. AMHS 2017;5:30-33.
- Masugata H, Senda S, Left ventricular diastolic dysfunction in normotensive diabetic patients invarious age strata. Diabetes Res ClinPract 2008;79:91-6.
- Sharavanan TKV, Prasanna KB. A study on the prevalence of diastolic dysfunction in type 2 diabetes mellitus in artery care hospital. IAIM 2016;3(7):216-221.
- Zakovicova E, Charvat J, Mokra D, SvabP, Kvapil M. The optimal control of blood glucose is associated with normal blood pressure 24 hours profile and prevention of the left ventricular remodeling in the patients with gestational diabetes mellitus. NeuroendocrinolLett 2014;35:327-333.
- Appiah D, Schreiner PJ, Gunderson EP, et al. Association of gestational diabetes mellitus with left Ventricular structure & function. Diabetes Care 2016;39:400-407.
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Who Can Become a Reviewer?
Any expert in the article's research field can become a reviewer with American Journal of BioMedicine. Editors might ask you to look at a specific aspect of an article.
Thank you for visiting American Journal of BioMedicine. * = Required fields
Error: Contact form not found.
Error: Contact form not found.
American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 1-12
Received August 22, 2018; accepted December 12, 2018; published January 17, 2019
How to cite this article
Al Hadad HS, Edankadhum B, Al Naff K. Correlation between diabetes mellitus and left ventricular hypertrophy. American Journal of BioMedicine 2019;7(1):1-12.
Case report outline