Nicola Runza,¹* Christophe Shukla, Simon Senkus, Concetta Maceski,
Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women and HER2 (human epidermal growth factor receptor 2) is a gene that can play a role in the development of breast cancer. Herceptin (chemical name: trastuzumab), which works against HER2-positive breast cancers by blocking the ability of the cancer cells to receive chemical signals that tell the cells to grow. Leek, scientifically as Allium porrum, are related to garlic, onions, shallots, and scallions. The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of leek extracts (Allium porrum) on Trastuzumab (TRA) induced cardiotoxicity after breast cancer chemotherapy treatment. The mice in the pretreated group were given a daily dose of 1.25 ml Allium porrum for 14 days. To induce cardiac injury, TRA (2 mg/kg) in a single injection intraperitoneally and the mice were sacrificed after 72 h. This is first time investigate the cardioprotective effects of Allium porrum on TRA-induced cardiotoxicity. The TRA-treated with Allium porrum groups showed a significant improved left ventricular function EF%, CO; p < 0.05, decrease in the Creatine kinase, creatine kinase MB, lactate dehydrogenase activities and cardiac troponin I, MCP-1 and reduces an inflammatory response in comparison with the TRA-treated group. In conclusion, the present study showed first time that Leek -Allium porrum- may be have potential role in cardio-protector against toxic effects of Trastuzumab.
Keywords: Leek; Trastuzumab; Breast cancer; Allium porrum
Copyright © 2018 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
- Weledji EP, Fokam P. Treatment of the diabetic foot–to amputate or not? BMC surgery 2014;14(1):83.
- Jarrett P. Day care surgery. European Journal of Anaesthesiology. 2001;18(S23):32-35.
- McQuay H, Carroll D, Moore R. Postoperative orthopaedic pain-the effect of opiate premedication and local anaesthetic blocks. Pain 1988;33(3):291-295.
- Needoff M, Radford P, Costigan P. Local anesthesia for postoperative pain relief after foot surgery: a prospective clinical trial. Foot & ankle international 1995;16(1):11-13.
- Rongstad K, Mann RA, Prieskom D, Nichelson S, Horton G. Popliteal sciatic nerve block for postoperative analgesia. Foot & ankle international. 1996;17(7):378-382.
- Sharrock N, WALLER JR J, Fierro L. Midtarsal block for surgery of the forefoot. BJA: British Journal of Anaesthesia 1986;58(1):37-40.
- Hansen E, Eshelman MR, Cracchiolo III A. Popliteal fossa neural blockade as the sole anesthetic technique for outpatient foot and ankle surgery. Foot & ankle international 2000;21(1):38-44.
- Schipper ON, Hunt KJ, Anderson RB, Davis WH, Jones CP, Cohen BE. Ankle Block vs Single-Shot Popliteal Fossa Block as Primary Anesthesia for Forefoot Operative Procedures: Prospective, Randomized Comparison. Foot & ankle international 2017;38(11):1188-1191.
- Urfalioglu A, Gokdemir O, Hanbeyoglu O, et al. A comparison of ankle block and spinal anesthesia for foot surgery. International journal of clinical and experimental medicine 2015;8(10):19388-19393.
- Casati A, Fanelli G, Borghi B, Torri G. Ropivacaine or 2% mepivacaine for lower limb peripheral nerve blocks. Anesthesiology: The Journal of the American Society of Anesthesiologists 1999;90(4):1047-1052.
- Hajek V, Dussart C, Klack F, et al. Neuropathic complications after 157 procedures of continuous popliteal nerve block for hallux valgus surgery. A retrospective study. Orthopaedics & Traumatology: Surgery & Research. 2012;98(3):327-333.
- Davies AR, Ware Jr JE. Involving consumers in quality of care assessment. Health affairs 1988;7(1):33-48.
- Canales M, Huntley H, Reiner M, Ehredt D, Razzante M. The popliteal nerve block in foot and ankle surgery: an efficient and anatomical technique. J Anesth Clin Res 2015;6(553):2.
- Hegewald K, McCann K, Elizaga A, Hutchinson BL. Popliteal blocks for foot and ankle surgery: success rate and contributing factors. The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery 2014;53(2):176-178.
- Anderson JG, Bohay DR, Maskill JD, et al. Complications after popliteal block for foot and ankle surgery. Foot & ankle international 2015;36(10):1138-1143.
- Capuzzo M, Alvisi R. Is it possible to measure and improve patient satisfaction with anesthesia? Anesthesiology clinics 2008;26(4):613-626.
- Fung D, Cohen MM. Measuring patient satisfaction with anesthesia care: a review of current methodology. Anesthesia & Analgesia 1998;87(5):1089-1098
READ THE FULL ARTICLE
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Who Can Become a Reviewer?
Any expert in the article\'s research field can become a reviewer with American Journal of BioMedicine. Editors might ask you to look at a specific aspect of an article.
Thank you for visiting American Journal of BioMedicine. * = Required fields
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 24-37
Received September 14, 2018; accepted December 11, 2018; published January 20, 2019
How to cite this article
Shukla C, Senkus S, Maceski C, Runza N. Potential role of leek, Allium porrum in attenuated cardiotoxicity effects of Trastuzumab. American Journal of BioMedicine 2019;7(1):24-37.
Case report outline