Nicola Runza,¹* Christophe Shukla, Simon Senkus, Concetta Maceski,
Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women and HER2 (human epidermal growth factor receptor 2) is a gene that can play a role in the development of breast cancer. Herceptin (chemical name: trastuzumab), which works against HER2-positive breast cancers by blocking the ability of the cancer cells to receive chemical signals that tell the cells to grow. Leek, scientifically as Allium porrum, are related to garlic, onions, shallots, and scallions. The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of leek extracts (Allium porrum) on Trastuzumab (TRA) induced cardiotoxicity after breast cancer chemotherapy treatment. The mice in the pretreated group were given a daily dose of 1.25 ml Allium porrum for 14 days. To induce cardiac injury, TRA (2 mg/kg) in a single injection intraperitoneally and the mice were sacrificed after 72 h. This is first time investigate the cardioprotective effects of Allium porrum on TRA-induced cardiotoxicity. The TRA-treated with Allium porrum groups showed a significant improved left ventricular function EF%, CO; p < 0.05, decrease in the Creatine kinase, creatine kinase MB, lactate dehydrogenase activities and cardiac troponin I, MCP-1 and reduces an inflammatory response in comparison with the TRA-treated group. In conclusion, the present study showed first time that Leek -Allium porrum- may be have potential role in cardio-protector against toxic effects of Trastuzumab.
Keywords: Leek; Trastuzumab; Breast cancer; Allium porrum
Copyright © 2018 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
1. World Cancer Research Fund / American Institute for Cancer Research. Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity, and the Prevention of Cancer: a Global Perspective. Washington DC: AICR; 2007.[Google Scholar]
2. Fenwick GR, Hanley AB. The genus Allium--Part 3. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition 1985;23:1-73.
3. Hsing AW, Chokkalingam AP, Gao YT, Madigan MP, Deng J, Gridley G, et al. Allium vegetables and risk of prostate cancer: a population-based study. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 2002;94:1648-51.
4. Yousif NG, Zhai Y, Slimani H, Ao L, Fullerton D, Meng X. TLR3-mediated inflammatory response after global myocardial i/r via activation of TLR4-mediated NF-kappa β and TRIF/IRF signaling pathways. SHOCK 2014;41: 34-34.
6. Galeone C, Turati F, Zhang ZF., et al. Relation of allium vegetables intake with head and neck cancers: evidence from the INHANCE consortium. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research 2015;59(9):1641-1650. doi: 10.1002/mnfr.201500042.
7. Seki T, Hosono T. Prevention of cardiovascular diseases by garlic-derived sulfur compounds. Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology 2015;61:S83-S85. doi: 10.3177/jnsv.61.S83.
8. Cavagnaro P. F., Galmarini C. R. Effect of processing and cooking conditions on onion (Allium cepa L.) induced antiplatelet activity and thiosulfinate content. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2012;60(35):8731-8737. doi: 10.1021/jf301793b.
9. Yousif NG. Fibronectin promotes migration and invasion of ovarian cancer cells through up‐regulation of FAK–PI 3 K/A kt pathway. Cell biology international 2014;38: 85-91.
10. Yousif NG, Al-amran FG. Novel Toll-like receptor-4 deficiency attenuates trastuzumab (Herceptin) induced cardiac injury in mice. BMC cardiovascular disorders 2011;11(1):62.
11. Slimani H, Zhai Y, Yousif NG, et al,. Enhanced monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 production in aging mice exaggerates cardiac depression during endotoxemia. Critical Care 2014;18(5):527.
12. Senthilkumar GP, Thomas S, Sivaraman K, Sankar P, Bobby Z. Study the effect of S-Methyl L-Cysteine on lipid metabolism in an experimental model of diet induced obesity. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2013;7(11):2449-2451. doi: 10.7860/JCDR/2013/7304.3571.
13. Shoda H, Fujio K, Yamamoto K. Cardioprotective effects of irbesartan in polymicrobial sepsis. Herz 2018;43:140-145.
14. Yousif NG, Al-Amran FG, Hadi N, Lee J, Adrienne J. Expression of IL-32 modulates NF-κB and p38 MAP kinase pathways in human esophageal cancer. Cytokine 2013;61: 223-227.
15. Akash MS, Rehman K, Chen S. Spice plant Allium cepa: dietary supplement for treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nutrition 2014;30(10):1128-1137. doi: 10.1016/j.nut.2014.02.011.
16. Hosseini A, Hosseinzadeh H. A review on the effects of Allium sativum (Garlic) in metabolic syndrome. Journal of Endocrinological Investigation 2015;38(11):1147-1157. doi: 10.1007/s40618-015-0313-8.
17. Turler M, Thoma S, Graves M, Lyman SM, Kasper JH. Dopamine signaling attenuated myocardial injury during endotoxemia. Am J Biomed 2015;3(7):381-391
18.Tracey SG, Goodman J, Putensen AA, Calandra RH, et al. Critical role of macrophage migration inhibitory factor in sepsis via interfere with MCP-1/CCL2 signaling pathway. Am J Biomed 2014;2(6):688-701
19. Tocmo R, Liang D, Lin Y, Huang D. Chemical and biochemical mechanisms underlying the cardioprotective roles of dietary organopolysulfides. Frontiers in Nutrition 2015;2, article no. 1 doi: 10.3389/fnut.2015.00001.
20. Novick D, Rubinstein M, Azam T, Rabinkov A, Dinarello CA, Kim SH. Proteinase 3 is an IL-32 binding protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2006;103:3316–21.
21. Yousif NG, Sadiq AM, Yousif MG, Al-Mudhafar RH. Notch1 ligand signaling pathway activated in cervical cancer: poor prognosis with high-level JAG1/Notch1. Archives of gynecology and obstetrics 2015;4: 899-904.
24. Lee BK, Jung YS. Allium cepa extract and quercetin protect neuronal cells from oxidative stress via PKC-ε inactivation/ERK1/2 activation. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity 2016;2016:9. doi: 10.1155/2016/2495624.2495624
25. Oliveira T, Figueiredo CA, Brito C, et al. Allium cepa L. and quercetin inhibit RANKL/ porphyromonas gingivalis LPS-induced osteoclastogenesis by downregulating NF-κB signaling pathway. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2015;2015:11. doi: 10.1155/2015/704781.704781
26. Kakihana Y, Ito T, Nakahara M, Yamaguchi K, Yasuda T. Sepsis-induced myocardial dysfunction: Pathophysiology and management. J Intensive Care 2016;4:22.
27. Everett WA, Yousif NG, Ao L, Cleveland JC, Fullerton DA, Meng X. Ghrelin reduces myocardial injury following global ischemia and reperfusion via suppression of myocardial inflammatory response. Am J BioMed 2013;1:38-48.
28. Russell JA, Boyd J, Nakada T, Thair S, Walley KR. Molecular mechanisms of sepsis. Contrib Microbiol 2011;17:48-85.
29. Ichinose F, Buys ES, Neilan TG, et al. Cardiomyocyte-specific overexpression of nitric oxide synthase 3 prevents myocardial dysfunction in murine models of septic shock. Circ Res 2007;100:130-9.
30. Saito H, Papaconstantinou J. Age-associated differences in cardiovascular inflammatory gene induction during endotoxic stress. J Biol Chem 2001;276:29307-29312. 10.1074/jbc.M103740200.
READ THE FULL ARTICLE
1. Access this article through OpenAthens
3. Purchase this article at rate $55.00 and received Full-Text/PDF
You will have online immediate access to article following the completion of this purchase and you may download and print a copy of each article for your personal use. Use the coding below to purchase your article as PDF by credit card, debit card, will be asked to supply your billing card information. Before continue with your purchase please read carefully the BM-Publisher terms and conditions of purchase.
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Who Can Become a Reviewer?
Any expert in the article\'s research field can become a reviewer with American Journal of Biomedicine. Editors might ask you to look at a specific aspect of an article,...
Thank you for visiting American Journal of BioMedicine. * = Required fields
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 24-36
Received September 14, 2018; accepted December 11, 2018; published January 20, 2019
How to cite this article
Shukla C, Senkus S, Maceski C, Runza N. Potential role of leek, Allium porrum in attenuated cardiotoxicity effects of Trastuzumab. American Journal of BioMedicine 2019;7(1):24-36.
Case report outline