Faraidwn H. Mustafa1, Nidhal Abudul Kahder Salem2, Shaswar Ali Mohamad3, Estabraq AR. Al-Wasiti4*
Asthma is a common disease in children with grief consequences on social and educational performance of sufferer. Montelueukas has been a mainstay drug for asthma attack controller medication. However, its effect on blood is not well defined. The main objective is to determine the effect of the drug on white blood cells. This case control study encompasses 72 children with confirmed asthma, 36 of them received 4mg of monteleukast granule daily for four months, the remaining half did not receive the drug. Complete Blood Count (CBC) was performed at the beginning of the study and then monthly till the end of the study. There was no statistically significant difference in the CBC parameters at beginning and during the first two months (P>0.5) between the two group. There was a trend toward a reduction in the lymphocyte count in the treated group in the third month in comparison to the control one. The last CBC measurement (4 months) showed statistically significant reduction in the lymphocyte count (P<0.01) in the treated group when compared to the control group. In conclusion: Monteleukast negatively influence the number of lymphocytes and caution should be exercised to avoid prescribing the drug in conditions known to reduce lymphocyte counts such as Covid-19 infection.
Keywords: Montelukast; Lymphocyte; Asthmatic children; Covid-19
Copyright © 2021 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
- Anderson GP. Endotyping asthma: new insights into key pathogenic mechanisms in a complex, heterogeneous disease. The Lancet 2008;372(9643):1107-1119.
- Cohn L, Elias JA, Chupp GL. Asthma: mechanisms of disease persistence and progression. Annu. Rev. Immunol. 2004;22:789-815.
- Hansbro PM, Kaiko GE, Foster PS. Cytokine/anti‐cytokine therapy-novel treatments for asthma? British journal of pharmacology 2011;163(1):81-95.
- Lloyd CM, Hessel EM. Functions of T cells in asthma: more than just T(H)2 cells. Nature reviews. Immunology 2010;10(12):838-848.
- Lambrecht BN, Hammad H. The role of dendritic and epithelial cells as master regulators of allergic airway inflammation. The Lancet 2010;376(9743):835-843.
- Yang M, et al., Emerging roles of pulmonary macrophages in driving the development of severe asthma. Journal of Leukocyte Biology 2012;91(4):557-569.
- Barnes PJ. The Cytokine Network in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology 2009;41(6):631-638.
- Wills-Karp M, Finkelman FD. Untangling the Complex Web of IL-4- and IL-13-Mediated Signaling Pathways. Science Signaling 2008;1(51):pe55-pe55.
- Zhu J, Paul WE. CD4 T cells: fates, functions, and faults. Blood 2008;112(5):1557-1569.
- Simons E. An Immunoepidemiological Approach to Asthma: Identification of in-Vitro T-Cell Response Patterns Associated with Different Wheezing Phenotypes in Children. Pediatrics, 2006;118(Supplement 1): S29-S30.
- Umetsu; DT. Revising the immunological theories of asthma and allergy. The Lancet 2005; 365(9454):98-100.
- Torjusen E, Matsui EC. TH17 Cells Mediate Steroid-Resistant Airway Inflammation and Airway Hyperresponsiveness in Mice. Pediatrics 2009;124(Supplement 2):S140-S140.
- Bennett MBP. Clinical Pharmacology 2012: Churchill Livingstone.
- Capristo C, Rigotti E, Boner AL. Update on the use of montelukast in pediatric asthma. in Allergy and asthma proceedings. 2006; OceanSide Publications.
- Lin Y-C, et al. Effects of montelukast on M2-related cytokine and chemokine in M2 macrophages. Journal of microbiology, immunology and infection 2018;51(1):18-26.
- Ribeiro JD, Toro AA, Baracat EC. Antileukotrienes in the treatment of asthma and allergic rhinitis. Jornal de pediatria 2006.
- Hsu, C.-H., et al. Effect of selective cysteinyl leukotriene receptor antagonists on airway inflammation and matrix metalloproteinase expression in a mouse asthma model. Pediatrics & Neonatology 2012;53(4):235-244.
- Straub D, et al. The effect of montelukast on lung function and exhaled nitric oxide in infants with early childhood asthma. European Respiratory Journal 2005;25(2):289-294.
- Bisgaard H, et al. Montelukast reduces asthma exacerbations in 2-to 5-year-old children with intermittent asthma. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine 2005;171(4):315-322.
- Yousif NG, Altimimi AN, Al-amran F, et al. Hematological changes among Corona virus-19 patients: a longitudinal study. Sys Rev Pharm 2020;11(5):862-866.
- Montuschi P, et al Pharmacological modulation of the leukotriene pathway in allergic airway disease. Drug discovery today 2007;12(9-10):404-412.
- Lynch KR, et al. Characterization of the human cysteinyl leukotriene CysLT 1 receptor. Nature 1999;399(6738):789-793.
- Figueroa DJ, et al. Expression of the cysteinyl leukotriene 1 receptor in normal human lung and peripheral blood leukocytes. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine 2001;163(1):226-233.
- Gauvreau GM, et al. Expression of functional cysteinyl leukotriene receptors by human basophils. Journal of allergy and clinical immunology 2005;116(1):80-87.
- Gennaro AD, et al. Cysteinyl‐leukotriene receptor activation in brain inflammatory reactions and cerebral edema formation: a role for transcellular biosynthesis of cysteinyl leukotrienes. The FASEB journal 2004;18(7):842-844.
- Mellor EA, et al. Expression of the type 2 receptor for cysteinyl leukotrienes (CysLT2R) by human mast cells: functional distinction from CysLT1R. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2003;100(20):11589-11593.
- Figueroa D, et al. Expression of cysteinyl leukotriene synthetic and signalling proteins in inflammatory cells in active seasonal allergic rhinitis. Clinical & Experimental Allergy 2003;33(10):1380-1388.
- Schoors D, et al. Single dose pharmacokinetics, safety and tolerability of MK‐0476, a new leukotriene D4‐receptor antagonist, in healthy volunteers. British journal of clinical pharmacology, 1995;40(3):277-280.
- Kanaoka Y, Maekawa A, Austen KF. Identification of GPR99 protein as a potential third cysteinyl leukotriene receptor with a preference for leukotriene E4 ligand. J Biol Chem 2013;288(16):10967-72.
- Hay DW, et al. Pharmacologic profile of SK&F 104353: a novel, potent and selective peptidoleukotriene receptor antagonist in guinea pig and human airways. J Pharmacol Exp Ther, 1987;243(2):474-81.
- Labat C, et al. A second cysteinyl leukotriene receptor in human lung. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics 1992;263(2):800-805.
- Ortiz, J., et al., Leukotriene receptors on human pulmonary vascular endothelium. British journal of pharmacology 1995;115(8):1382.
- Djukanović R, et al. Mucosal Inflammation in Asthma. American Review of Respiratory Disease 1990;142(2):434-457.
- Ronald Veazey BL, Pandrea I, McClure H, Lackner A, Marx P, Decreased CCR5 Expression on CD4+ T Cells of SIV-Infected Sooty Mangabeys. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses 2003;19(3):227-233.
- Van Dam JG, et al. Acute Primary Infection with Cytomegalovirus (CMV) in Kidney Transplant Recipients Results in the Appearance of a Phenotypically Aberrant CD8+ T Cell Population. Microbiology and Immunology 2000;44(12):1011-1017.
- Dunne PJ, et al. Epstein-Barr virus-specific CD8+ T cells that re-express CD45RA are apoptosis-resistant memory cells that retain replicative potential. Blood, 2002;100(3):933-940.
- Yang X, et al. Clinical course and outcomes of critically ill patients with SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a single-centered, retrospective, observational study. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine 2020;8(5):475-481.
- Ding H, et al. Consideration of the Management of Pediatric Fever Clinics During the Novel Coronavirus Pneumonia Outbreak. Disaster medicine and public health preparedness 2020:1-7.
READ THE FULL ARTICLE
For any technique error please contact us
American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 9, Issue 3, pages 173-179
Received February 12, 2021; revised May 30, 2021; accepted June 05, 2021; published July 11, 2021
How to cite this article
Mustafa FH, Salem NA, Mohamad SA, Al-Wasiti ER. Montelukast effects on lymphocyte in asthmatic children. American Journal of BioMedicine 2021;9(3):173-179.