American Journal of BioMedicine
Volume 10, Issue 4, December 13 2022, Pages 178-184 | http://dx.doi.org/10.18081/2333-5106/2022.10/178
Fadhil G. Alamran 1*, Harubumi Kato
Received June 30 2022 Revised September 11 2022 Accepted October 30 2022 Published December 13 2022
Implementation of a national screening programme for abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) in men is on the public health agenda of many western European countries. Its cause 1.3% of all deaths among men aged 65-85 years in developed countries. These aneurysms are typically asymptomatic until the catastrophic event of rupture. The elective open AAA repair carries a 5% mortality. Whereas the 30 days mortality associated with ruptured AAA is widely believed to be around 80%; and of those that reach hospital alive and undergo emergency surgery, approximately 40% will die within 30 days of surgery. An AAA is usually detected on routine examination as a palpable, pulsatile, and non-tender mass. A 65-year-old female did endovascular aneurysm repair for AAA she had hypertension, dyslipidemia, type 2 diabetes on treatment, congestive heart failure with an ejection fraction of 32%. In 3.5 years ago presents with 8 days of fever, severe abdominal pain. Image angiogram showed signs of endovascular aneurysm repair site (intraluminal gas, aneurysm sac). Since she is clinically unfitting for surgery, treated with percutaneous drainage for the aortic collection and antibiotics for long period and periodically follow up.
Keywords: Abdominal aortic aneurysm; Endovascular aneurysm repair; Emergency surgery
Copyright © 2022 Fadhil Alamran, et al. This article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Hance KA, Tataria M, Ziporin SJ, Lee JK, Thompson RW. Monocyte chemotactic activity in human abdominal aortic aneurysms: Role of elastin degradation peptides and the 67-kD cell surface elastin receptor J Vasc Surg 2002; 35:254-261.
- Lu H, Rateri DL, Bruemmer D, Cassis LA, Daugherty A. Novel mechanisms of abdominal aortic aneurysms. Curr Atheroscler Rep 2012; 14:402-12.
- Cheng J, Zhang R, Li C, Tao H, Dou Y, Wang Y, et al. A targeting nanotherapy for abdominal aortic aneurysms. J Am Coll Cardiol 2018; 72:2591-605.
- Yin L, Zhang K, Sun Y, Liu Z. Nanoparticle-assisted diagnosis and treatment for abdominal aortic aneurysm. Front Med 2021; 8:665846/BIBTEX.
- Bruijn LE, Gómez CG van S, Curci JA, et al. A histopathological classification scheme for abdominal aortic aneurysm disease. JVS-Vascular Sci 2021; 2:260.
- Mellak S, Ait-Oufella H, Esposito B, et al. Angiotensin II mobilizes spleen monocytes to promote the development of abdominal aortic aneurysm in apoe-/- mice. Arter Thromb Vasc Biol 2015; 35:378-88.
- Klopf J, Brostjan C, Neumayer C, Eilenberg W. Neutrophils as regulators and biomarkers of cardiovascular inflammation in the context of abdominal aortic aneurysms. Biomed 2021; 9:1236.
- Calero A, Illig KA. Overview of aortic aneurysm management in the endovascular era. Semin Vasc Surg 2016; 29(1-2):3-17.
- Zannetti S, De Rango P, Parlani G, Verzini F, Maselli A, Cao P. Endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair in high-risk patients: a single centre experience. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2001; 21(4):334-8.
- Bush RL, Johnson ML, Collins TC, et al. Open versus endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair in VA hospitals. J Am Coll Surg 2006; 202(4):577-87.
- Galiñanes EL, Reynolds S, Dombrovskiy VY, Vogel TR. The impact of preoperative statin therapy on open and endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair outcomes. Vascular 2015; 23(4):344-9.
- Williamson JS, Ambler GK, Twine CP, Williams IM, Williams GL. Elective repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm and the risk of colonic ischaemia: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2018; 56(1):31-9.
- Henriksson M, Lundgren F. Decision-analytical model with lifetime estimation of costs and health outcomes for one-time screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm in 65-year-old men. Br J Surg 2005; 92:976-83.
- Trenner M, Kuehnl A, Reutersberg B, Salvermoser M, Eckstein HH. Nationwide analysis of risk factors for in-hospital mortality in patients undergoing abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Br J Surg 2018; 105(4):379-87.
- Cosford PA, Leng GC. Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007; (2):CD002945.
- Sweet MP, Fillinger MF, Morrison TM, Abel D. The influence of gender and aortic aneurysm size on eligibility for endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg 2011; 54(4):931-7.
- Connelly JB, Hill GB, Millar WJ. The detection and management of abdominal aortic aneurysm: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Clin Invest Med 2002; 25:127-33.
- Bergqvist D, Björk M, Wanhainen A. Abdominal aortic aneurysm-to screen or not to screen. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2008; 35:13-8.
- Laustsen J, Jensen LP, Hansen AK. Accuracy of clinical data in a population based vascular registry. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2004; 27:216-9.
- Cronenwett JL, Likosky DS, Russel MT, Eldrup-Jørgensen J, Stanley AC, Nolan BW. A regional registry for quality assurance and improvement: the vascular study group of Northern New England (VSGNNE). J Vasc Surg 2007; 46:1093-102.
- Lovegrowe RE, Javid M, Magee TR, Galland RB. A meta-analysis of 21 178 patients undergoing open or endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm. Br J Surg 2008; 95:677-84.
22. Lindholt JS, Juul S, Fasting H, Henneberg EW. Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysms: single centre randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2005; 330:750-4.
- Cornuz J, Pinto CS, Tevaerai H, Egger M. Risk factors for asymptomatic abdominal aortic aneurysm. Eur J Public Health 2004; 14:343-9.
- Silverstein MD, Pitts SR, Chaikof EL, Ballard DJ. Abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA): cost-effectiveness of screening, surveillance of intermediate-sized AAA, and management of symptomatic AAA. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent) 2005; 18:345-67.
- Mathison M, Becker GJ, Katzen BT, Benenati JF, Zemel G, Powell A, Kovacs ME, Lima MM. The influence of female gender on the outcome of endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2001; 12(9):1047-51.
- Patel ST, Haser PB, Bush HL, Jr, Kent KC. The cost-effectiveness of endovascular repair versus open surgical repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms: A decision analysis model. J Vasc Surg 1999; 29(6):958-72.
2. PDF XML
For any technique error please contact us.