American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 2, Issue 10, pages 1110-1118
Caroline G. Jackson; Donald R. Kwan; John A. Ribeiro; Karen Oliveira
GPR15 functions as a cellular co-receptor for some isolates of HIV-1, HIV-2, and SIV through interactions with several viral envelope proteins. The objective of this study was to investigate the expression of orphan receptor GPR15/BOB in the serum of SLE patients and non-SLE healthy people. GPR15/BOB expression was analysed by flow cytometry while, GPR15/BOB messenger RNA was examined in peripheral blood monocytes by RT-PCR. GPR15/BOB mRNA was detected in all periphral blood of SLE patients examined. Further, a significant increase in GPR15/BOB expression as measured by mean fluorescence intensity was observed on SLE PB neutrophils compared to these cell populations from healthy donors. We concluded that GPR15/BOB is expressed in monocytes and neutrophils in peripheral blood, and expression is up-regulated in SLE patients compared to controls. GPR15/BOB may play a role in SLE pathogenesis.
Keywords: SLE; GPR15/BOB; Neutrophils; Cytokine
1. Danchenko N, Satia JA, Anthony MS. Epidemiology of systemic lupus erythematosus: a comparison of worldwide disease burden. Lupus. 2006;15(5):308-18. [Medline]
Systemic sclerosis and scleroderma variants: clinical aspects. In: KoopmanWJ, MorelandLW, editors. Arthritis and Allied Conditions. 15th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2005. p. 1633–80. , , .
3. Duan H, Fleming J, Pritchard DK, Amon LM, Xue J, Arnett HA, et al. Combined analysis of monocyte and lymphocyte messenger RNA expression with serum protein profiles in patients with scleroderma. Arthritis Rheum 2008; 58: 1465–74. [Abstract/Full-Text]
4. Hahn BH, Karpouza GA, Tsao BP. Pathogenesis of systemic lupus erythematosus. In: Harris ED, et al, eds. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: WB Saunders; 2005:1174-1200.
5. Muñoz LE, Janko C, Grossmayer GE, et al. Remnants of secondarily necrotic cells fuel inflammation in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum. Jun 2009;60(6):1733-42. [Medline]
6. Boldron J; Caltabiano S; Debono SD; Thompson R; Scammells M; Westover R; Wu Y; Frugier P. Adhesion molecule expression trigger immune-mediated pathology in lupus-nephritis. American Journal of BioMedicine 2013;1(2): 49-57. [Abstract/Full-Text]
7. Clayton F, Kotler DP, Kuwada SK, Morgan T, Stepan C, Kuang J, Le J, Fantini J. Gp120-induced Bob/GPR15 activation. A possible cause of HIV enteropathy. Am J Pathol 159:1933–1939;2001.
8. Cancro MP, D'Cruz DP, Khamashta MA. The role of B lymphocyte stimulator (BLyS) in systemic lupus erythematosus. J Clin Invest. May 2009;119(5):1066-73. [Full Text]
9. Maresca M, Mahfoud R, Garmy N, Kotler DP, Fantini J, Clayton F. The virotoxin model of HIV-1 enteropathy: involvement of GPR15/Bob and galactosylceramide in the cytopathic effects induced by HIV-1 gp120 in the HT-29-D4 intestinal cell line. J Biomed Sci 2003;10(1):156-66. [PubMed]
10. Petri M, Orbai AM, Alarcón GS, et al. Derivation and validation of the Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics classification criteria for systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum. Aug 2012;64(8):2677-86. [Full Text]
11. D'Cruz DP, Khamashta MA, Hughes GR. Systemic lupus erythematosus. Lancet. Feb 17 2007;369(9561):587-96. [Medline]
12. Deng Y, Tsao BP. Genetic susceptibility to systemic lupus erythematosus in the genomic era. Nat Rev Rheumatol. Dec 2010;6(12):683-92. [Full Text]
13. Sanchez E, Nadig A, Richardson BC, et al. Phenotypic associations of genetic susceptibility loci in systemic lupus erythematosus. Ann Rheum Dis. Oct 2011;70(10):1752-7. [Medline]
15. Granter J; Calvin MB, Westover JG, et al. Expression of orphan receptor GPR15/BOB up-regulated in systemic lupus erythematous/crosstalk with pro-inflammatory cytokines. American Journal of BioMedicine 2014; 7: 870-886. [Abstract/Full-Text]
16. Balluz L, Philen R, Ortega L, Rosales C, Brock J, Barr D, et al. Investigation of systemic lupus erythematosus in Nogales, Arizona. Am J Epidemiol. Dec 1 2001;154(11):1029-36. [Medline]
17. Boddaert J, Huong DL, Amoura Z, Wechsler B, Godeau P, Piette JC. Late-onset systemic lupus erythematosus: a personal series of 47 patients and pooled analysis of 714 cases in the literature. Medicine (Baltimore). Nov 2004;83(6):348-59. [Medline]
18. Firestein GS, Budd RC, Harris ED Jr, et al, eds. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2008.
19. Bertsias GK, Ioannidis JP, Aringer M, et al. EULAR recommendations for the management of systemic lupus erythematosus with neuropsychiatric manifestations: report of a task force of the EULAR standing committee for clinical affairs. Ann Rheum Dis. Dec 2010;69(12):2074-82. [Medline]