Relationship between H.pylori (Hp) colonizes and gastric inflammation is widely accepted. Polymorphisms in inflammation related genes such as cytokines and their receptors were thought to partly determine the outcome of Hp infection. Interleukin 23 receptor (IL23R) may relate to degeneration of gastric mucosa. We evaluate association of IL23R +2199 rs10889677 polymorphism and grade of Hp infection with degeneration of gastric mucosa and grade of Hp infection. Biopsies taken from the corpus patients were classified as Hp-infected and Hp-uninfected. The histological severity of Hp infection and degeneration of gastric mucosa were graded from normal to severe. Polymorphism in IL23R was evaluated by PCR-RFLP. AC genotype was related to mild degeneration in Hp-infected subjects (P=0.017). Mild and moderate grades of Hp infection were found related to mild grade of
gastric mucosal degeneration (P=0.004 for mild and P=0.037 for moderate grade), sever grade was associated with non-degeneration (P=0.010). We didn’t found any association between IL-23R +2199 polymorphism and grades of Hp infection (P>0.05). We concluded that AC genotype of IL-23R polymorphism influences degeneration of gastric mucosa according to presence of Hp and grades of Hp infection.
Key words: Degeneration; IL-23R; Polymorphism; Helicobacter pylori; Mucosa
Copyright © 2014 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
- Bagheri N, Rahimian G, Salimzadeh L, Azadegan F, Rafieian-Kopaei M, Taghikhani A, et al. Association of the virulence factors of Helicobacter pylori and gastric mucosal interleukin17/23 mRNA expression in dyspepsic patients. Excli 2013; 12: 5-14.
- Menbari MN, Rahmani SA, Ahmadi A, Zandi F, Bagheri N, Jalili A, et al. Evaluation of Ecadherin (CDH1) Gene Polymorphism Related To Gastric Cancer In Kurdish Population. Life Science Journal 2013; 10(12s).
- A hmadi A, Zandi F, Gharib A, Menbari N, Hosseini J, Abdi M, et al. Relationship Between Polymorphism in Promoter Region of E-Cadherin (Cdh1) Gene and Helicobacter Pylori Infection in Kurdish Population of Iran. Life Science Journal 2013; 10(12s).
- Zandi F, Shirzad H, Bagheri N, Ahmadi A, Azadegan F, Gharib A, et al. Evaluation of IL17A and IL-17F genes polymorphism in Iranian dyspeptic patients. Life Science Journal 2013; 10(12s).
- Bagheri N, Taghikhani A, Rahimian G, Salimzadeh L, Azadegan Dehkordi F, Zandi F, et al. Association between virulence factors of helicobacter pylori and gastric mucosal interleukin18 mRNA expression in dyspeptic patients. Microbial pathogenesis 2013; 65: 7-13.
- Lee I, Lee H, Kim M, Fukumoto M, Sawada S, Jakate S, et al. Ethnic difference of Helicobacter pylori gastritis: Korean and Japanese gastritis is characterized by male-and antrum-predominant acute foveolitis in comparison with American gastritis. World journal of gastroenterology WJG 2005; 11(1): 94.
- Rad R, Dossumbekova A, Neu B, Lang R, Bauer S, Saur D, et al. Cytokine gene polymorphisms influence mucosal cytokine expression, gastric inflammation, and host specific colonisation during Helicobacter pylori infection. Gut 2004; 53(8): 1082-9.
- Macarthur M, Hold GL, El-Omar EM. Inflammation and Cancer II. Role of chronic inflammation and cytokine gene polymorphisms in the pathogenesis of gastrointestinal malignancy. American Journal of Physiology-Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology 2004;
- El-Omar EM, Carrington M, Chow W-H, McColl KE, Bream JH, Young HA, et al. Interleukin-1 polymorphisms associated with increased risk of gastric cancer. 2000.
- El-Omar EM, Rabkin CS, Gammon MD, Vaughan TL, Risch HA, Schoenberg JB, et al. Increased risk of noncardia gastric cancer associated with proinflammatory cytokine gene polymorphisms. Gastroenterology 2003; 12(5): 1193-201.
- Van Heel DA, Jewell DP. Genetics of inflammatory bowel disease--an update. Acta Gastroenterol Belg 2001; 64(2): 160-4.
- Machado JC, Figueiredo C, Canedo P, Pharoah P, Carvalho R, Nabais S, et al. A proinflammatory genetic profile increases the risk for chronic atrophic gastritis and gastric
carcinoma. Gastroenterology 2003; 125 (2): 364-71.
- Lu B, Chen M-T, Fan Y-H, Liu Y, Meng L-N. Effects of Helicobacter pylori eradication on atrophic gastritis and intestinal metaplasia: a 3-year follow-up study. Word journal of gastroenterology 2005; 11(41): 6518.
- Zhang C, Yamada N, Wu Y-L, Wen M, Matsuhisa T, Matsukura N. Comparison of Helicobacter pylori infection and gastric mucosal histological features of gastric ulcer patients with chronic gastritis patients. World J Gastroenterol 2005; 11(7): 976-81.
- Oppmann B, Lesley R, Blom B, Timans JC, Xu Y, Hunte B, et al. Novel p19 protein engages IL-12p40 to form a cytokine, IL-23, with biological activities similar as well as distinct from IL-12. Immunity 2000; 13(5): 715-25.
- Alhasani S. Yousif NG. Critical role of IL-23 signaling in prostatic cancer. AJBM 2013; 1(1):4–6.
- Iwakura Y, Ishigame H. The IL-23/IL-17 axis in inflammation. Journal of Clinical Investigation 2006; 116(5): 1218.
- Van der Fits L, Mourits S, Voerman JS, Kant M, Boon L, Laman JD, et al. Imiquimodinduced psoriasis-like skin inflammation in mice is mediated via the IL-23/IL-17 axis. The Journal of Immunology 2009; 182(9): 5836-45.
- Zhang Z, Kyttaris VC, Tsokos GC. The role of IL-23/IL-17 axis in lupus nephritis. The Journal of Immunology 2009; 183(5): 3160-9.
- Maloy KJ. The Interleukin‐23/Interleukin‐17 axis in intestinal inflammation. Journal of internal medicine 2008; 263(6): 584-90.
- Caruso R, Fina D, Paoluzi OA, Del Vecchio Blanco G, Stolfi C, Rizzo A, et al. IL‐23‐mediated regulation of IL‐17 production in Helicobacter pylori‐infected gastric mucosa. European journal of immunology 2008; 38(2): 470-8.
- Cho JH. The genetics and immunopathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease. Nature Reviews Immunology 2008; 8(6): 458-66.
- Duerr RH, Taylor KD, Brant SR, Rioux JD, Silverberg MS, Daly MJ, et al. A genome-wide association study identifies IL23R as an inflammatory bowel disease gene. Science Signalling 2006; 314(5804): 1461.
- Capon F, Di Meglio P, Szaub J, Prescott NJ, Dunster C, Baumber L, et al. Sequence variants in the genes for the interleukin-23 receptor (IL23R) and its ligand (IL12B) confer protection against psoriasis. Human genetics 2007; 122(2): 201-6.
- Faragó B, Magyari L, Sáfrány E, Csöngei V, Járomi L, Horvatovich K, et al. Functional variants of interleukin-23 receptor gene confer risk for rheumatoid arthritis but not for systemic sclerosis. Annals of the rheumatic diseases 2008; 67(2): 248-50.
- Rueda B, Orozco G, Raya E, Fernandez-Sueiro JL, Mulero J, Blanco FJ, et al. The IL23R Arg381Gln non-synonymous polymorphism confers susceptibility to ankylosing spondylitis. Annals of the rheumatic diseases 2008; 67(10): 1451-4.
- Huber AK, Jacobson EM, Jazdzewski K, Concepcion ES, Tomer Y. Interleukin (IL)-23 receptor is a major susceptibility gene for Graves’ ophthalmopathy: the IL-23/T-helper 17 axis extends to thyroid autoimmunity. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism
2008; 93(3): 1077-81.
- Chen Y, Zhou B, Peng Y, Wang Y, Li C, Ding X, et al. Interleukin‐23 receptor gene polymorphisms is associated with dilated cardiomyopathy in Chinese Han population. Tissue antigens 2009; 73(4): 330-4.
- Chong S, Lou Q, Fitzgerald JF, Lee C-H. Evaluation of 16S rRNA gene PCR with primers Hp1 and Hp2 for detection of Helicobacter pylori. Journal of clinical microbiology 1996;34(11): 2728-30.
- Suzana M-K, Skender T, Emine D-D, Halil A, Vjollca S-M, Agron K, et al. Helicobacter pylori gastritis updated Sydney classification applied in our material. Prilozi 2009; 30(1): 45-60.
- Chen B, Zeng Z, Xu L, Wu X, Yu J, Xue L, et al. IL-23R+ 2199A/C polymorphism is associated with decreased risk of certain subtypes of gastric cancer in Chinese: A case–control study. Cancer Epidemiology 2011; 35(2): 165-9.
- Jafarzadeh A., Mirzaee V., Ahmad-Beygi H., Nemati M., Rezayati MT. Association of the CagA status of Helicobacter pylori and serum levels of interleukin (IL)‐17 and IL‐23 in duodenal ulcer patients. Journal of digestive diseases 2009; 10(2): 107-12.
- Koussoulas V, Vassiliou S, Giamarellos‐Bourboulis E, Tassias G, Kotsaki A, Barbatzas C, et al. Implications for a role of interleukin‐23 in the pathogenesis of chronic gastritis and of peptic ulcer disease. Clinical & Experimental Immunology 2009; 156(1): 97-101.
- Vivas J, Regnault B, Michel V, Bussière F, Avé P, Huerre M, et al. Interferon gammasignature transcript profiling and IL-23 upregulation in response to Helicobacter pylori infection. International journal of immunopathology and pharmacology 2008; 21(3): 515.
- Lepper PM, Triantafilou M, Schumann C, Schneider EM, Triantafilou K. Lipopolysaccharides from Helicobacter pylori can act as antagonists for Toll‐like receptor 4. Cellular microbiology 2005; 7(4): 519-28.
- Tuncel IE, Hussein NR, Bolek BK, Arikan S, Salih BA. Helicobacter pylori virulence factors and their role in peptic ulcer diseases in Turkey. Acta Gastroenterol Belg 2010; 73(2): 235-8.
- Portal-Celhay C, Perez-Perez GI. Immune responses to Helicobacter pylori colonization: mechanisms and clinical outcomes. Clin Sci (Lond) 2006; 110(3): 305-14.
- Achyut B, Ghoshal UC, Moorchung N, Mittal B. Association of Toll-like receptor-4 (Asp299Gly and Thr399Ileu) gene polymorphisms with gastritis and precancerous lesions. Human immunology 2007; 68(11): 901-7.
For any technique error please contact us
American Journal of BioMedicine 2014, Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 176-188
Received April 30, 2014; Accepted June 28, 2014, Published August 22, 2014
How to cite this article
Zandi F, Shirzad H, Bagheri N, et al. Helicobacter pylori and IL-23R gene polymorphism role in degeneration of gastric mucosa. American Journal of BioMedicine 2014;2(3):176-188.
Case report outline