Numerous biomarkers have been studied to identify the cause and severity of sepsis MicroRNAs (miRNAs) are non-coding RNA transcripts that regulate the expression of genes by repressing translation or degrading mRNA. Sepsis is a life-threatening condition and the major cause of mortality among patients in intensive care units, including acute phase proteins such as C-reactive protein (CRP). However, the lack of specify of these more frequently used biomarkers impedes the significant requirement to identify novel biomarkers for early sepsis detection. The role of miR-146a in the physiopathology of sepsis in myocardial depression continues to be poorly understood. miR-486/miR-150 may be used as a potential marker to difference sepsis induces myocardail function from non-sepsis causes.
Keywords: Myocardial depression; Biomarkers; mRNA; Sepsis
Copyright © 2015 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
- Tang BM, Eslick GD, Craig JC, McLean AS. Accuracy of procalcitonin for sepsis diagnosis in critically ill patients: systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis 2007;7:210-217.
- White HD, Chew DP. Acute myocardial infarction. Lancet 2008;372(9638):570-584.
- Plasterk RH. Micro RNAs in animal development. Cell 2006;124(5):877-881.
- Meltzer PS. Cancer genomics: small RNAs with big impacts. Nature 2005;435(7043):745-746.
- van Empel VP, De Windt LJ, da Costa Martins PA. Circulating miRNAs: reflecting or affecting cardiovascular disease? Curr Hypertens Rep 2012;14(6):498-509.
- Prabhu SD. Cytokine-induced modulation of cardiac function. Circ Res 2004; 95:1140-1153.
- Kloosterman WP, Plasterk RH. The diverse functions of microRNAs in animal development and disease. Dev Cell 2006;11(4):441-450.
- Akira S, Takeda K, Kaisho T. Toll-like receptors: critical proteins linking innate and acquired immunity. Nat Immunol 2001; 2:675-680.
- Kumar A, Haery C, Parrillo JE. Myocardial dysfunction in septic shock. Crit Care Clin 2000;16:251-287.
- Peitzman AB, Udekwu AO, Ochoa J, Smith S. Bacterial translocation in trauma patients. J Trauma 1991;31:1083-1086.
- Mann DL. Inflammatory mediators and the failing heart: past, present, and the foreseeable future. Circ Res 2002;91:988-998.
- Slimani H, Zhai Y, Yousif NG, et al. Enhanced monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 production in aging mice exaggerates cardiac depression during endotoxemia. Crit Care. 2014;18(5):527.
- Crabhu SD, Chandrasekar B, Murray DR, Freeman GL. β-Adrenergic blockade in developing heart failure: effects on myocardial inflammatory cytokines, nitric oxide, and remodeling. Circulation 2000;101:2103-2109.
- Kanda T, McManus JE, Nagai R, et al. Modification of viral myocarditis in mice by interleukin-6. Circ Res 1996;78:848-856.
- Tracey KJ, Fong Y, Hesse DG, et al. Anti-cachectin/TNF monoclonal antibodies prevent septic shock during lethal bacteramia. Nature 1987; 330: 662-664.
- Okusawa S, Gelfand JA, Ikejima T, Connolly RJ, Dinarello CA. Interleukin-1 induces a shock-like state in rabbits. Synergism with tumor necrosis factor and the effect of cyclooxygenase inhibition. J Clin Invest 1988;81:1162-1172.
- Simms MG, Walley KR. Activated macrophages decrease rat cardiac myocyte contractility: importance of ICAM-1-dependent adhesion. Am J Physiol 1999;277:H253-H260.
- Mitchell PS, Parkin RK, Kroh EM, et al. Circulating microRNAs as stable blood-based markers for cancer detection. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2008;105(30):10513-10518.
- Yousif NG, Al-Amran FG. Novel Toll-like receptor-4 deficiency attenuates trastuzumab (Herceptin) induced cardiac injury in mice. BMC Cardiovasc Disord 2011;11:62.
- Häntzsch M, Tolios A, Beutner F, et al. Comparison of whole blood RNA preservation tubes and novel generation RNA extraction kits for analysis of mRNA and MiRNA profiles. PLoS One 2014;9(12).
- Rainen L, Oelmueller U, Jurgensen S et al. Stabilization of mRNA expression in whole blood samples. Clin Chem 2002;48:1883-1890.
- Tan SC, Yiap BC. DNA, RNA, and protein extraction: the past and the present. J Biomed Biotechnol 2009;2009:574398.
- Wang Z, Gerstein M, Snyder M. RNA-Seq: a revolutionary tool for transcriptomics. Nat Rev Genet 2009;10:57-63.
For any technique error please contact us
American Journal of BioMedicine 2017, Volume 5, Issue 4, pages 303–314
Received June 11, 2017; Accepted September 09, 2017; Published October 03, 2017
How to cite this article
Thron R, Andersson T,Lee K, Adrienne M. Critical role of microglia in the inflammatory response after spinal injury. American Journal of BioMedicine 2017;5(4):303–314