American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 2, Issue 12, pages
Hafidh M. Farhan; Aziz Salim Shakir
The term LGBT is commonly used as short hand for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community, mental disorders higher prevalence among LGBT due to historical antigay stance and stigmatization of those people. To identify the prevalence of mental disorders in LGBT community and relation to their demographic variables. A case series study of 350 LGBT person in multicenter study in Baghdad was conduct within 4 years (2009-2013), Kinsey homo and heterosexual sexual scale used as a tool for assessment of sexual orientation and DSM 4 criteria for diagnosis of mental disorders. Only 150 0f 350 LGBT people suffered from mental disorders, regarding females the depression commonest (29%) followed by sadism (27%), while males depression and pedophilia commonest (17.8%) followed by nicotine and substance misuse (17%). The mental disorders were common among LGBT and there is different gender distribution.
Keywords: Lesbian; Gay; Bisexual; Transgender; Mental disorders.
1. Drescher J, Stein TS, Byne WM. Homosexuality, gay and lesbian identities and homosexual behavior. In: Sadock BJ, Sadock VA, eds. Kaplan &Sadock's Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry. 8th ed. Vol. 1. 2005, Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 1936.
2. Omoto AM, Kurtzman HS, (Eds). Sexual orientation and mental health: Examining identity and development in lesbian, gay and bisexual people. Washington, DC: APA books, 2006.
3.Aziz SS. prevalence of LGBT population in Iraq, comprehensive survey (Unpublished thesis), 2012.
4. King M, McKeown E, Warner J, et al. Mental health and quality of life of gay men and lesbians in England and Wales: a controlled, cross-sectional study. British Journal of Psychiatry 2003;183:552-55. [PubMed]
5. Meyer IH. Prejudice, social stress, and mental health in lesbian, gay, and bisexual populations: conceptual issues and research evidence. Psychol Bull 2003;129(5):674-97. [PubMed]
6. Gibson P. Gay male and lesbian youth suicide. US Department of Health and Human Services: Report of the Secretary's Task Force on Youth Suicide. Volume 3. Washington DC, Government Printing Office 1989:115-142.
7. Bayer R. Homosexuality and American psychiatry. The politics of diagnosis. New York: Basic Books,1981.
8. DSM-IV, APA Quick reference to criteria. DSM IV TR 4th. Edition, 2000.
9.The American Association for Public Opinion Research. Standard definitions: final dispositions of case codes and outcomes rates for surveys, 2005.
10. Bailey JM. Homosexuality and mental illness. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1999;56(10):883-4. [PubMed]
11. Bancroft J. Alfred C. Kinsey and the politics of sex research. Ann Rev Sex Res 2004;15:1-39. [PubMed]
12. Al soudany Shyaa. LGBT population status in Iraq. Study conduct by ministry of human rights. Submitted to general council of prime minster of Iraq 2012.
13. Meyer IH, Dietrich J, Schwartz S. Lifetime prevalence of mental disorders and suicide attempts in diverse lesbian, gay, and bisexual populations. Am J Public Health 2008;98(6):1004-6. [PubMed]
14. Warner J1, McKeown E, Griffin M, Johnson K, Ramsay A, Cort C, King M. Rates and predictors of mental illness in gay men, lesbians and bisexual men and women: Results from a survey based in England and Wales. Br J Psychiatry 2004;185:479-85. [PubMed]
15. Singleton N, Bumpstead R, O’Brien M, et al. Psychiatric morbidity among a adults living in private households. London: HMSO 2000.
16. Boyd CJ, McCabe SE, d'Arcy H. Ecstasy use among college undergraduates: gender, race and sexual identity. Journal of Substance treatment 2003;24(3):209-215. [PubMed]
17. Adams HE, Wright LW Jr, Lohr BA. Is homophobia associated with homosexual arousal? J Abnorm Psychol 1996;105(3):440-5. [PubMed]
18. Al-Sabagh A. Schizophrenia in Iraq a sociodemographic study at Ibn-Rushd Mental Hospital 1993; 21:48.
19. Whitbeck LB, Chen X, Hoyt DR, Tyler KA, Mental disorder, subsistence strategies, and victimization among gay, lesbian, and bisexual homeless and runaway adolescents. Journal of sex research 2004;41(4):329-342. [PubMed]
20. Cochran SD, Mays VM, Sullivan JG. Prevalence of mental disorders, psychological distress, and mental health services use among lesbian, gay, and bisexual adults in the United States. J Consult Clin Psychol 2003;71:53–61. [PubMed]
21. Dodge B, Sandfort TG. A review of mental health research on bisexual individuals when compared to homosexual and heterosexual individuals. In: Firestein B, edBecoming. Visible: Counseling Bisexuals Across the Lifespan. New York, NY: Columbia University Press 2006; 28–51.
22. Laws and O’donohue. 2008, Sexual Deviation, Theory, assessment, And Treatment. 2nd. Edition. The Guilford Press New York, London.
23. Langstrom L, Seto M. Exhibitionistic and voyeuristic behavior in a Swedish national population survey. Arch. Sex. Behav 2006; 35:427-435. [Abstract/Full-Text]
24. Meltzer H, Gill B, Petticrew M, Hinds K. OPCS Survey of Psychiatric Morbidity: Report 1. The Prevalence of Psychiatric Morbidity among Adults Ages 16–64 Living in Private Households in Great Britain. HMSO; London, UK: 1995.