Basima Sh. Alghazali
Meconium staining of the amniotic fluid and the meconium aspiration syndrome (MAS will likely remain common occurrences faced by health care providers. Unfortunately, our understanding of these entities is incomplete. There are a number of issues which need to be adequately evaluated regarding the pathophysiology of MAS. The objectives of this study is to investigate the association of visfatin in the pathogenesis of meconium stain amniotic fluid. A case control study, conducted in Al-Zahra teaching hospital/ALNajaf city where 90 women delivered studied, 45 with meconium stained amniotic fluid (MSAF) and 45 clear amniotic fluid (CAF) where study from first of March 2013 to July 2013 in the labour room and operative theater, data collected regarding their names, gestational age, sex, type of the meconium, mode of delivery, outcome and parity of the mother. Aspiration of blood done and the concentration of visfatin in amniotic fluid were determined using a specific and sensitive enzyme immunoassay. We concluded that, the level of visfatin is increased significantly in MSAF in comparison with the CAF group.
Keywords: Visfatin; Meconium aspiration syndrome; Amniotic fluid; Labour
1. Caughey AB, Musci TJ. Complications of term pregnancies beyond 37 weeks of gestation. Obstet Gynecol 2004; 103:57–62. [Abstract/Full-Text]
2. Sasikala A, Raghavan S, Mishra N, et al. Perinatal outcome in relation to mode of delivery in meconium stained amniotic fluid. The Indian Journal of Pediatrics 1995; 62(1): 63-67. [Abstract]
3. Yurdakök, Murat. Meconium aspiration syndrome: do we know? Turkish Journal of Pediatrics 2011; 53(2): 121-129. [PubMed]
4. Paiva S, Ghidini A, Salfaia C, Pezzullo J, Poggi S. Variability in pathologists; detection of placental meconium uptake. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2005; 193:607. [PubMed]
5. Mokra, Daniela; Mokry, Juraj. Inflammation in Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Targets for Pharmacological Modulation. Current Pediatric Reviews 2007; 3(4): 248263.
6. Ognjanovic S, Bryant-Greenwood GD, Pre-Bcell colony-enhancing factor, novel cytokine of human fetal membrane. AM J Obstet Gynecol 2002; 187:1051. [PubMed]
7. Choi KC, Ryu OH, Lee KW, et al. Effect of PPAR-alpha and gamma agonist on the expression of visfatin, adiponectin, and TNF-alpha in visceral fat of OLETF rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2005; 336:747-53. [PubMed]
8. Kendal-Wright CE, Hubbard D, Bryant-Green Wood GD. Chronic stretching of amniotic epithelial cell increase pre B- cell colony enhancing factor. Expression and protects them from apoptosis 2008; 29:255-65. [PubMed]
9. Houlihan CM, Knuppel RA. Meconium-stained amniotic fluid. Current controversies. The Journal of Reproductive Medicine 1994; (11) American Journal of BioMedicine 2015; 3(4):181-187. [PubMed]
10. Gerard M. Cleary, Thomas E. Wiswell. Meconium-stained amniotic fluid and Meconium aspiration syndrome. Pediatric Clinics of North America 2013; 45(3):511529. [Abstract/Full-Text]
11. Yinka O, Culin A, Ananth A, et al. Meconium-Stained Amniotic Fluid across gestation and neonatal acid-base status. Obstetrics & Gynecology 2006; 108(2):345-349. [PubMed]
12. Sedaghatian MR, Othman L, Moshadeque HM, Vidyasagar D. Risk of meconiumstained amniotic fluid in different ethnic groups. Journal of Perinatology 2000; 20(4):257. [PubMed]
13. Alexander GR, Hulsey TC, Robillard PY, De Caunes F, Papiernik E. Determinants of meconium-stained amniotic fluid in term pregnancies. Journal of Perinatology. Official Journal of the California Perinatal Association 1994;14(4):259-263. [PubMed]
14. P Swain, A Thapalial. Meconium stained amniotic fluid a potential predictor of meconium aspiration syndrome. J. Nepal Paediatr. Soc 2008; 28(1):3-6.
15. Sumana R, Zdena P, Marc I, Rangasamy R. Meconium-stained amniotic fluid and neonatal morbidity in near-term and term deliveries with acute histologic chorioamnionitis and/or funisitis. Journal of Perinatology. 2001; 21(8):537-40. [PubMed]