American Journal of BioMedicine
Volume 10, Issue 3, August 11 2022, Pages 111-127 | http://dx.doi.org/10.18081/2333-5106/2022.10/111
Estabraq AR. Al-Wasiti 1*, Maysoon Mahmood Hussein 2, Sarab Hilal Abdulhussain 3
Received April 30 2022 Revised June 21 2022 Accepted July 20 2022 Published August 11 2022
Despite their high prevalence in women of different age, the aetiopathogenesis of ovarian cysts (O.C.) unknown. This study is aimed to evaluate the total protein bound hexose (TPHex), total protein (TP), total carbohydrate (TCHO), lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) and iron (Fe+2) in fluid of function, benign, and malignant ovarian cyst. Also demonstrate the change in serum PHex and LDH (of patients with ovarian cyst) and their roles in diagnosis of patients with malignant ovarian cyst. A cross sectional study included sixty- seven women with ovarian cyst (ten of them with functional cyst, thirty two with benign neoplastic cyst and twenty five of them with malignant ovarian cyst). Twenty-six healthy women as a control group also participated in the current study. The age of subjects ranged from (twelve to sixty-seven) years. Different biochemical parameters were carried out in ovarian cyst fluid (O.C.F.) and in serum include (TPHex), total protein (TP), total carbohydrate (TCHO), lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) and iron (Fe+2). In the present study, a comparative study of biochemical parameters revealed that a significant increase in fluid (TPHex), total protein (TP), total carbohydrate (TCHO), lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) and iron (Fe+2) levels in malignant and benign ovarian cyst when compared with functional ovarian cyst, also there is a significant increase in malignant (O.C.F.) compared with benign (O.C.F.). In the serum, our study shows a highly significant elevation in PHex and LDL enzyme in patients with malignant and benign ovarian cysts compared with serum PHex and LDL of normal healthy control, while there is insignificant difference in serum PHex level in patients with malignant ovarian cyst compared with that of patients with benign ovarian cyst. There is no correlation between level of PHex in serum and fluid, while There is a direct correlation between LDH level in serum and fluid cyst. In conclusion, both fluid and serum LDH level can considered as a tumour marker for malignant ovarian cyst also there is a direct correlation between serum and fluid. Fluid TCHO level have a useful role in diagnosis of benign and malignant ovarian cyst. Iron is useful in differentiating endometrioid cyst from other types of cysts, but it is not useful in differentiating benign from malignant ovarian cyst.
Keywords: Ovarian cysts; PHex and LDL; Fluid TCHO
Copyright © 2022 Estabraq AR. Al-Wasiti et al. This article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
1. Bell D, Betts K, Justo R, et al. Multicenter experience with 500 cardiocel implants used for the repair of congenital heart defects. Ann Thorac Surg. 2019;108(6):1883-1888.
2. Konstantinidou MK, Moat N. Repair of tricuspid valve leaflet with cardiocel patch after traumatic tricuspid regurgitation. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017; 104(3):e221-e223.
3. Porras D, Brown DW, Marshall AC, Del Nido P, Bacha EA, McElhinney DB. Factors associated with subsequent arch reintervention after initial balloon aortoplasty in patients with Norwood procedure and arch obstruction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011; 58:868-876.
4. Neethling WM, Strange G, Firth L, Smit FE. Evaluation of a tissue-engineered bovine pericardial patch in paediatric patients with congenital cardiac anomalies: initial experience with the ADAPT-treated CardioCel(R) patch. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2013;17(4):698-702.
5. Bautista-Hernandez V, Marx GR, Gauvreau K, Pigula FA, Bacha EA, Mayer JE, Jr, del Nido PJ. Coarctectomy reduces neoaortic arch obstruction in hypoplastic left heart syndrome. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007; 133:1540-1546.
6. Us MH, Sungun M, Sanioglu S, Pocan S, Cebeci BS, Ogus T, et al. A retrospective comparison of bovine pericardium and polytetrafluoroethylene patch for closure of ventricular septal defects. J Int Med Res. 2004; 32:218-21.
7. Aupecle B, Serraf A, Belli E, Mohammadi S, Lacour-Gayet F, Fornes P, et al. Intermediate follow-up of a composite stentless porcine valved conduit of bovine pericardium in the pulmonary circulation. Ann Thorac Surg. 2002; 74:127-32.
8. Bennink GB, Hitchcock FJ, Molenschot M, Hutter P, Sreeram N. Aneurysmal pericardial patch producing right ventricular inflow obstruction. Ann Thorac Surg. 2001; 71:1346-7.
9. Li J, Ao L, Jin C, et al. Expression of Human Interleukine-37 Protects Mouse Heart Against Ischemic Injury Through Suppression of Monocyte Chemoattractant Protein-1-Mediated Mononuclear Cell Accumulation. Circulation. 2011;124:A8603.
10. Marelli AJ, Gurvitz M. From numbers to guidelines. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2011; 53:239-46.
11. Marelli AJ, Mackie AS, Ionescu-Ittu R, Rahme E, Pilote L. Congenital heart disease in the general population: changing prevalence and age distribution. Circulation. 2007; 115:163-72.
12. Vitanova K, Cleuziou J, Pabst von Ohain J, Burri M, Eicken A, Lange R. Recoarctation after Norwood I procedure for hypoplastic left heart syndrome: impact of patch material. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;103(2):617-621.
13. Larrazabal LA, Selamet Tierney ES, Brown DW, Gauvreau K, Vida VL, Bergersen L, Pigula FA, del Nido PJ, Bacha EA. Ventricular function deteriorates with recurrent coarctation in hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Ann Thorac Surg. 2008; 86:869-874. discussion 869-874.
14. Pok S, Jacot JG. Biomaterials advances in patches for congenital heart defect repair. J Cardiovasc Transl Res. 2011; 4(5):646-654.
15. Neethling WM, Strange G, Firth L, Smit FE. Evaluation of a tissue-engineered bovine pericardial patch in paediatric patients with congenital cardiac anomalies: initial experience with the ADAPT-treated CardioCel(R) patch. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2013;17(4):698-702.
16. Fixler DE, Nembhard WN, Salemi JL, Ethen MK, Canfield MA. Mortality in first 5 years in infants with functional single ventricle born in Texas, 1996 to 2003. Circulation. 2010; 121:644-650.
17. Austin EW, Ao L, Cleveland JC, et al. Ghrelin reduces myocardial injury following global ischemia and reperfusion via suppression of myocardial inflammatory response. American journal of BioMedicine. 2013; 1(2):38-48.
18. Burkhart HM, Ashburn DA, Konstantinov IE, De Oliveira NC, Benson L, Williams WG, Van Arsdell GS. Interdigitating arch reconstruction eliminates recurrent coarctation after the Norwood procedure. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2005; 130:61-65.
19. Pavy C, Michielon G, Robertus JL, Lacour-Gayet F, Ghez O. Initial 2-year results of CardioCel® patch implantation in children. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2018;26(3):448-453.
20. Burkhart HM, Ashburn DA, Konstantinov IE, et al. Interdigitating arch reconstruction eliminates recurrent coarctation after the Norwood procedure. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2005;130(1):61-65.
21. Ghanayem NS, Cava JR, Jaquiss RD, Tweddell JS. Home monitoring of infants after stage one palliation for hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Pediatr Card Surg Annu. 2004; 7:32-38.
22. Ghanayem NS, Hoffman GM, Mussatto KA, Cava JR, Frommelt PC, Rudd NA, Steltzer MM, Bevandic SM, Frisbee SS, Jaquiss RD, Litwin SB, Tweddell JS. Home surveillance program prevents interstage mortality after the Norwood procedure. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003; 126:1367-1377.
23. Yousif NG, Al-Amran FG. Novel Toll-like receptor-4 deficiency attenuates trastuzumab (Herceptin) induced cardiac injury in mice. BMC cardiovascular disorders. 2011; 11:1-7.
24. Ashcraft TM, Jones K, Border WL, et al. Factors affecting long-term risk of aortic arch recoarctation after the Norwood procedure. Ann Thorac Surg. 2008; 85(4):1397-1401.
25. Chessa M, Dindar A, Vettukattil JJ, et al. Balloon angioplasty in infants with aortic obstruction after the modified stage I Norwood procedure. Am Heart J. 2000; 140(2):227-231.
26. Poirier NC, Drummond-Webb JJ, Hisamochi K, et al. Modified Norwood procedure with a high-flow cardiopulmonary bypass strategy results in low mortality without late arch obstruction. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2000; 120(5):875-884.
27. Ao L, Li J, Aly A, et al. Myocardial tissue TLR4 plays a major role in mediating myocardial injury following cold ischemia and reperfusion through up-regulation of MCP-1. Journal of Surgical Research. 2011; 2(165):181.
How to cite this article
Al-Wasiti E, Hussein MM, Abdulhussain SH. Evaluation of some biochemical parameters in fluid cysts and serum in different types of ovarian cysts. American Journal of BioMedicine. 2022; 10(3): 111-127. http://dx.doi.org/10.18081/2333-5106/2022.10/111