Systemic Lupus Erythematosus is a clinically heterogeneous autoimmune disease of complex etiology, with protein manifestations, having a variable course and prognosis. It effects primarily women in their childbearing years (20-40 years). We reported a rare case of 23-year-old woman presented to the GIT clinic with long history (more than 18-months) of hemoptysis without any other significant symptoms and signs. Physical examination reveals tachycardia, and normal blood pressure. Ventilation perfusion scanning is normal. Investigation excluded infectious etiology. Immunological markers revealed high titre of antinuclear antibody (ANA), normal dsDNA antibodies and anti SM. All the imaging investigation are normal including OGD. A cyclophosphamide and methylprednisolone pulses were started, with good initial response. In unusual SLE presentation, a wide range of differential diagnosis has to be considered. Primary SLE presents difficult diagnostic and therapeutic approach.
Keywords: Systemic Lupus Erythematosus; Hemoptysis; Antinuclear antibody (ANA)
Copyright © 2017 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
- Yu HH, Lee JH, Wang LC, et al. Neuropsychiatric manifestations in pediatric systemic lupus erythematosus: a 20-year study. Lupus 2006;15:651-7 [PubMed]
- Rosenbaum E, Krebs E, Cohen M, Tiliakos A, Derk CT. The spectrum of clinical manifestations, outcome and treatment of pericardial tamponade in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: a retrospective study and literature review. Lupus. 2009;18(7):608-612. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
- Panopalis P, Gillis JZ, Yazdany J, et al. Frequent use of the emergency department among persons with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2010;62(3):401-408. [PMC free article] [PubMed][Cross Ref]
- Manson JJ, Rahman A. Systemic lupus erythematosus. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2006;1:6.
- Danchenko N, Satia JA, Anthony MS. Epidemiology of systemic lupus erythematosus: a comparison of worldwide disease burden. Lupus 2006;15:308-18. [PubMed]
- Brunner HI, Gladman DD, Ibanez D, et al. Difference in disease features between childhood-onset and adult-onset systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 2008;58:556-62. [PubMed]
- Joseph FG, Scolding NJ. Neurolupus. Pract Neurol 2010;10:4-15. [PubMed]
- Appenzeller S, Pike GB, Clarke AE. Magnetic resonance imaging in the evaluation of central nervous system manifestations in systemic lupus erythematosus. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 2008;34:361-6. [PubMed]
- Olfat MO, Al-Mayouf SM, Muzaffer MA. Pattern of neuropsychiatric manifestations and outcome in juvenile systemic lupus erythematosus. Clin Rheumatol 2004;23:395. [PubMed]
- American College of Rheumatology Ad Hoc Committee on Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Guidelines. Guidelines for referral and management of SLE in adults. Arthritis Rheumatol 1999;42(9):1785-1796.
READ THE FULL ARTICLE
1. Access this article through OpenAthens
3. Purchase this article at rate $55.00 and received Full-Text/PDF
You will have online immediate access to article following the completion of this purchase and you may download and print a copy of each article for your personal use. Use the coding below to purchase your article as PDF by credit card, debit card, will be asked to supply your billing card information. Before continue with your purchase please read carefully the BM-Publisher terms and conditions of purchase.
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Who Can Become a Reviewer?
Any expert in the article's research field can become a reviewer with American Journal of Biomedicine. Editors might ask you to look at a specific aspect of an article,...
Thank you for visiting American Journal of BioMedicine. * = Required fields
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 5, Issue 3, pages 118-124
Received November 01, 2016; accepted February 04, 2017; published March 07, 2017
How to cite this article
Hiraki J, Kumar MB. Rare presentation of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE): a case report" style. American Journal of BioMedicine 2017;5(3):118-124.
4. Case Presentation