Eilly Goljan¹, Kevin M. Marsh¹, John B. Reeder², Ernest Beutler³*
β -Thalassaemia, an autosomal recessive hemoglobinopathy, is one of the commonest genetically transmitted disorders throughout the world. Collective measures including carrier identification, genetic counseling and prenatal diagnosis are required for preventing β-thalassemia. Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) is an enzyme associated with High density lipoprotein (HDL) in blood and it is considered to have antioxidant and antiatherogenic properties. The purpose of this study is to investigate the critical role between promoter polymorphism of PON1 gene and its paraoxonase activity in patients suffering from of β -Thalassaemia, Coast of Kenya. Genomic DNA was extracted from whole blood then genotyping was carried out using PCR and measured paraoxonase in the serum of 41 healthy subjects as control and 35 β -Thalassaemia patients. Haemoglobin types (HbA, HbS) were characterized by electrophoresis using cellulose acetate gels (Helena Laboratories, Beaumont, Texas, United States), full blood counts were conducted using an automated cell counter (MDII; Beckman Coulter, Fullerton, California, United States) by standard methods. Data was statistical analysis uses Graphpad prism 6 software. Our data revealed that paraoxonase activity of PON1 in the β -Thalassaemia was significantly lower in comparison with control group.
Keywords: Paraoxonase; PON1; β -Thalassaemia; SNPs
Copyright © 2017 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
- Old JM, Varawalla NY, Weatherall DJ. Rapid detection and prenatal diagnosis of β-thalassemia: Studies in Indian and Cypriot populations in the UK. Lancet 1990;336:834–7. [PubMed]
- Ahmed S, Saleem M, Sultana N, et al. Prenatal diagnosis of β-thalassemia in Pakistan: Experience in a Muslim country. Prenat Diagn 2000;20:378–3. [PubMed]
- Najmabadi H, Karimi-Nejad R, Sahebjam S, et al. The β-thalassemia mutation spectrum in the Iranian population. Hemoglobin 2001;25:285–96. [PubMed]
- Baig SM, Azhar A, Hassan H, et al. Spectrum of β-thalassemia mutations in various regions of Punjab and Islamabad, Pakistan: Establishment of prenatal diagnosis. Haematologica 2006;91:e13–5. [PubMed]
- Colah R, Gorakshakar A, Nadkarni A, et al. Regional heterogeneity of β-thalassemia mutations in the multi ethnic Indian population. Blood Cells Mol Dis 2009;42:241–6. [PubMed]
- Shpilberg O, Dorman J, Ferrell R, Trucco M, Shahar A, Kuller LH. The next stage: Molecular epidemiology. J Clin Epidemiol 1997;50:633–8. [PubMed]
- Alwan A, Modell B. EMRO technical publication series 24. Alexandria, Egypt: WHO Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean; 1997. Community control of genetic and congenital disorders.
Mackness MI, Arrol S, Durrington PN. Paraoxonase prevents accumulation of lipoperoxides in low-density lipoprotein. FEBS Lett 1991;286:152–54. [PubMed]
Aviram M, Billecke S, Sorenson R, et al. Paraoxonase active site required for protection against LDL oxidation involves its free sulfhydryl group and is different from that required for its arylesterase/paraoxonase: selective action of human Paraoxonase allozymes Q and R. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 1998;18:1617–24. [PubMed]
Mackness B, Hine D, Liu Y, Mastorikou M, Mackness M. Praoxonase-1 oxidized LDL- induced MCP-1 production by endothelial cells. Biochem Biophysic Res Comm 2004;318:680–83. [PubMed]
Roeschlau P, Bernt E, Gruber W. Enzymatic determination of serum cholesterol. Clin Chem Clin Biochem 1974;12:226. [PubMed]
Mendonça MI, Dos Reis RP, Freitas AI, et al. Human paraoxonase gene polymorphisms and coronary artery disease risk. Revista Portuguesa de Cardiologia 2008;27(12):1539–1555. [PubMed]
Costa LG, Vitalone A, Cole TB, Furlong CE. Modulation of paraoxonase (PON1) activity. Biochemical Pharmacology 2005;69(4):541–550. [PubMed]
Debord J, Bollinger J-C, Merle L, Dantoine T. Inhibition of human serum arylesterase by metal chlorides. Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry 2003;94(1-2):1–4. [PubMed]
Burstein M, Scholnick HR, Morfin R. Rapid method for the isolation of lipoproteins from human serum by precipitation with polyanions. J Lipid Res 1970;11:583–95. [PubMed]
McGowan MW, Artiss JD, Strandbergh DR, Zak B. A peroxidase-coupled method for the colorimetric determination of serum triglycerides. Clin Chem 1983;29:538–42. [PubMed]
Friedewald WT, Levy RI, Fredrickson DS. Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clin Chem 1972;18:499–502.[PubMed]
Tirschwell DL, Smith NL, Heckbert SR, Lemaitre RN, Longstreth WT, Psaty BM. Association of cholesterol with stroke risk varies in stroke subtypes and patient subgroups. Neurology 2004;63:1868–75.[PubMed]
Hafeez M, Aslam M, Ali A, Rashid Y, Jafri H. Regional and ethnic distribution of β-thalassemia mutations and effect of consanguinity in patients referred for prenatal diagnosis. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 2007;17:144–7. [PubMed]
READ THE FULL ARTICLE
1. Access this article through OpenAthens
3. Purchase this article at rate $55.00 and received Full-Text/PDF
You will have online immediate access to article following the completion of this purchase and you may download and print a copy of each article for your personal use. Use the coding below to purchase your article as PDF by credit card, debit card, will be asked to supply your billing card information. Before continue with your purchase please read carefully the BM-Publisher terms and conditions of purchase.
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Who Can Become a Reviewer?
Any expert in the article's research field can become a reviewer with American Journal of Biomedicine. Editors might ask you to look at a specific aspect of an article,...
Thank you for visiting American Journal of BioMedicine. * = Required fields
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 5, Issue 10, pages 558-570
Received July 01, 2017; accepted September 25, 2017; published October 26, 2017
How to cite this article
Abd_Alrahman ZA, Hummadi NA, Hussaini HA, Al-Helfy SH, Al-Saadi WI. EConventional sonography and strain sonoelastography in the evaluation of solid thyroid nodules. American Journal of BioMedicine 2017;5(10):558-570.
Case report outline