Mark Fernandez Bedoya; Maria A. Hegeman; Marchil G. Rovere; Amanda Bron; Jimmy Fukumoto
Interleukin-8 (IL-8) is one type of cytokine has a role in the regulation of the immune system. Cytokines have become the focus of many scientific studies, as there is evidence of the contribution of genetic factors to the imbalance of the inflammatory profile of the patient, which directly affects the clinical outcome and the severity of HIV. Recently demonstrated that IL-8 is produced by macrophages in response to HIV-1 and by endothelial cells in response to Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus and that IL-8 plays an important role in the early angiogenesis of Kaposi's sarcoma. This study investigated the polymorphism of IL-8 gene among patients infected with HIV infection.
Keywords: Interleukin-8 (IL-8); Cytokine; HIV; Polymorphism
1. Kedzierska A, Maerz T, Warby et al. Granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor inhibits HIV-1 replication in monocyte-derived macrophages. AIDS 2000; 14:1739–1748. [Abstract/Full-Text]
2. Pantaleo G, Graziosi C, Fauci AS, Mechanisms of disease: the immunopathogenesis of human immunodeficiency virus infection. New England Journal of Medicine1993;328:327–335. [Abstract/Full-Text]
4. Bagasra O, Hauptman SP, Lischner HW, Sachs M, Pomerantz RJ. Detection of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 provirus in mononuclear cells by in situ polymerase chain reaction. N Engl J Med 1992;326:1385-1391. [Free Full Text]
5. Volberding PA, Lagakos SW, Koch MA, et al. Zidovudine in asymptomatic human immunodeficiency virus infection: a controlled trial in persons with fewer than 500 CD4-positive cells per cubic millimeter. N Engl J Med 1990;322:941-949. [Free Full Text]
6. Tindall B, Cooper DA. Primary HIV infection: host responses and intervention strategies. AIDS 1991;5:1-14. [CrossRef]
7. Schnittman SM, Psallidopoulos MC, Lane HC, et al. The reservoir for HIV-1 in human peripheral blood is a T cell that maintains expression of CD4. Science 1989;245:305-308. [CrossRef]
8. Fauci AS, Lane HC. The acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). In: Wilson JD, Braunwald E, Isselbacher KJ, et al., eds. Harrison's principles of internal medicine. 12th ed. Vol. 2. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1991:1402-10.
9. Nair BC, DeVico AL, Nakamura S, et al. Identification of a major growth factor for AIDS-Kaposi's sarcoma cells as oncostatin M. Science 1992;255:1430-1432. [CrossRef]
10. Bolognesi DP. HIV antibodies and vaccine design. AIDS 1989;3:Suppl 1:S111-S118. [Web of Science]
11. Habeshaw JA, Dalgleish AG, Bountiff L, et al. AIDS pathogenesis: HIV envelope and its interaction with cell proteins. Immunol Today 1990;11:418-425. [CrossRef]
12. Amadori A, de Silvestro G, Zamarchi R, et al. CD4 epitope masking by gp120/anti-gp120 antibody complexes: a potential mechanism for CD4+ cell function down-regulation in AIDS patients. J Immunol 1992;148:2709-2716. [Web of Science]
13. Marrack P, Kushnir E, Kappler J. A maternally inherited superantigen encoded by a mammary tumour virus. Nature 1991;349:524-526. [CrossRef]
14. Acha-Orbea H, Shakov AN, Scarpellino L, et al. Clonal deletion of Vβ14-bearing T cells in mice transgenic for mammary tumour virus. Nature 1991;350:207-211. [CrossRef]
15. Rieckmann P, Poli G, Kehrl JH, Fauci AS. Activated B lymphocytes from human immunodeficiency virus-infected individuals induce virus expression in infected T cells and a promonocytic cell line, U1. J Exp Med 1991;173:1-5.
16. Brew R, Erikson JS, West DC, Kinsella AR, Slavin J, Christmas SE. Interleukin-8 as an autocrine growth factor for human colon carcinoma cells in vitro. Cytokine 2000;12:78–85. [PubMed]
17.Steinman RM. The dendritic cell system and its role in immunogenicity. Annu Rev Immunol 1991;9:271-296.
18. Doll D, Keller L. Maak M, Boulesteix A-L, Siewert JR, Holzmann B, Janssen KP. Differential expression of the chemokines GRO-2, GRO-3 and interleukin-8 in colon cancer and their impact on metastasis disease and survival. Int J Colorectal Dis 2010;25:573–581.
19. Landi S, Moreno V, Gioia-Patricola L, Guino E, Navarro M, de OJ, Capella G, Canzian F. Association of common polymorphisms in inflammatory genes interleukin (IL)6, IL8, tumor necrosis factor alpha, NFKB1, and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma with colorectal cancer. Cancer Res 2003;63:3560–3566. [PubMed]
20. Li K,Yao S, Liu S, Wang B. Mao D. Genetic polymorphisms of interleukin 8 and risk of ulcerative colitis in the Chinese population. Clin Chim Acta 2009;405:30–34. [PubMed]
21. Sameni S, Ghayumi MA, Mortazavi G, Faghih Z, Kashef MA, Ghaderi A. Lack of association between interleukin-13 gene polymorphisms (-1055 C/T and +2044 G/A) in Iranian patients with lung cancer. Mol Biol Rep 2009;36:1001–1005. [PubMed]
22. Seaton A, Scullin P, Maxwell PJ, et al. Interleukin-8 signaling promotes androgen-independent proliferation of prostate cancer cells via induction of androgen receptor expression and activation. Carcinogenesis 2008;29:1148–1156. [PubMed]