Noémi da Silva, Daniel Kopper, Sevgi González-Hernández
Severe sepsis is sepsis causing poor organ function or insufficient blood flow. Insufficient blood flow may be evident by low blood pressure, high blood lactate, or low urine output. Septic shock is low blood pressure due to sepsis that does not improve after reasonable amounts of intravenous fluids are given. The chemicals released into the blood to fight the infection trigger widespread inflammation. This leads to blood clots and leaky blood vessels. The aim of this review is to present an new biomarkers supporting the diagnosis of systemic failuer after sepsis, and it will cover their utility as new diagnostic tools, predictors of outcome, and as novel therapeutic targets.
Keywords: Severe sepsis; Systemic failure; Inflammation; Biomarkers
1. Cortez MA, Bueso-Ramos C, Ferdin J, Lopez-Berestein G, Sood AK, Calin GA. MicroRNAs in body fluids—the mix of hormones and biomarkers. Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2011;8(8):467–77. [PubMed]
2. Bravo AA, Kumm K, Lamy C, et al. H2 therapy protects myocardial cell injury induce by sepsis via attenuated expression the level of HMGB1. Pathphysiology of Cell Injury Journal 2012;1:10-19. [Abstract/Full-Text]
3. Wang K, Zhang S, Marzolf B, Troisch P, Brightman A, Hu Z, et al. Circulating microRNAs, potential biomarkers for drug-induced liver injury. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2009;106(11):4402–7. [PubMed]
4. Reid G, Kirschner MB, van Zandwijk N. Circulating microRNAs: Association with disease and potential use as biomarkers. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 2011;80(2):193–208.
5. Slade E, Tamber PS, Vincent JL. The Surviving Sepsis Campaign: raising awareness to reduce mortality. Crit Care 2003;7:1–2. [PubMed]
6. Pierrakos C, Vincent JL. Sepsis biomarkers: a review. Crit Care 2010;14:R15. [PubMed]
7. Bakker J, Coffernils M, Leon M, Gris P, Vincent JL. Blood lactate levels are superior to oxygen-derived variables in predicting outcome in human septic shock. Chest 1991;99:956–62. [PubMed]
8. Holmes CL, Russell JA, Walley KR. Genetic polymorphisms in sepsis and septic shock: role in prognosis and potential for therapy. Chest 2003;124:1103–15. [PubMed]
9. Izquierdo-Garcia JL, Nin N, Ruiz-Cabello J, et al. A metabolomic approach for diagnosis of experimental sepsis. Intensive Care Med 2011;37:2023–32. [PubMed]
10. Mickiewicz B, Duggan GE, Winston BW, Doig C, Kubes P, Vogel HJ. Metabolic profiling of serum samples by 1H nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy as a potential diagnostic approach for septic shock. Crit Care Med 2014;42:1140–9. [PubMed]
11. Lvovschi V, Arnaud L, Parizot C, et al. Cytokine profiles in sepsis have limited relevance for stratifying patients in the emergency department: a prospective observational study. PLoS One 2011;6:e28870. [PubMed]
12. Saric J, Li JV, Swann JR, Utzinger J, et al. Integrated cytokine and metabolic analysis of pathological responses to parasite exposure in rodents. J Proteome Res 2010;9:2255–64. [PubMed]
13. Nicholson JK, Foxall PJ, Spraul M, Farrant RD, Lindon JC. 750 MHz 1H and 1H-13C NMR spectroscopy of human blood plasma. Anal Chem 1995;67:793–811. [PubMed]
14. Ding M, Smeal, Orlicky S, PUmezawa C, Lee Y, Umezawa CH. Cellular injury by over expression of Pin1/up-regulation in autoimmune disease. Pathphysiology of Cell Injury Journal 2013;2:12-23. [Abstract/Full-Text]
15. Yousif NG. Fibronectin promotes migration and invasion of ovarian cancer cells through up-regulation of FAK-PI3K/Akt pathway. Cell Biol Int 2014;38(1):85-91. [PubMed]
16. van den Berg RA, Hoefsloot HC, Westerhuis JA, Smilde AK, van der Werf MJ. Centering, scaling, and transformations: improving the biological information content of metabolomics data. BMC Genomics 2006;7:142. [PubMed]
17. Trygg J, Wold S. Orthogonal projections to latent structures (O-PLS). J Chemometrics 2002;16:119–28.Trygg J, Wold S. Orthogonal projections to latent structures (O-PLS). J Chemometrics 2002;16:119–28. [Cross Ref]
18. Cerra FB, Caprioli J, Siegel JH, McMenamy RR, Border JR. Proline metabolism in sepsis, cirrhosis and general surgery. The peripheral energy deficit. Ann Surg 1979;190:577–86.
19. Mao H, Wang H, Wang B, Liu X, Gao H, Xu M, et al. Systemic metabolic changes of traumatic critically ill patients revealed by an NMR-based metabonomic approach. J Proteome Res 2009;8:5423–30. [PubMed]
20. Punyadeera C, Schneider EM, Schaffer D, et al. A biomarker panel to discriminate between systemic inflammatory response syndrome and sepsis and sepsis severity. J Emerg Trauma Shock 2010;3:26–35. [PubMed]