The study evaluated the effect of selected Vinca alkaloids on the microtubule network of CHO cells line and the recovery of its disruption. Model experiments were used for demonstration of the quantification of microtubule network changes induced by Vinca alkaloids using computer-assisted image analysis cells were treated with Vincristine or Vinblastine at various concentrations from 2 μg/l to 800 μg/l for 60 min, or with Vincristine at a concentration of 4615 μg/l and 9230 μg/l for 60 min. Microtubules were detected by means of indirect immunofluorescence. The damage was examined in a fluorescence microscope. Also, cells were treated for 60 min with Vincristine at concentrations of 20 μg/l or 800 μg/l and the recovery process was studied in time intervals of 6, 7, 8, 9, 10h, or 8 and 12h, respectively. Differences in the arrangement of microtubules were assessed by means of a software for quantification of the cytoskeleton changes in cells treated with Vincristine at a concentration of 20 μg/l and in untreated control cells. The microtubule network recovery process in time intervals of 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10h was quantified after treatment with Vincristine at a concentration of 20 μg/l for 60 min using the software for quantification of the cytoskeleton changes.
Keywords: Cytoskeleton; Microtubule disruption; Cytoskeleton recovery; Vincristine
Copyright © 2016 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
1. Schliwa M. The Cytoskeleton. An Introductory Survey. Springer-Verlag Wien 1986;326. [e Book]
2. Tilney LG, Bryan J, Bush DJ, et al. Microtubules: evidence for 13 protofilaments. J Cell Biol 1973;59: 267-275. [PubMed]
3. Nogales E. A structural view of microtubule dynamics. Cell Mol Life Sci 1999; 56(1-2):133-142. [PubMed]
4. Mays RW, Beck KA, Nelson JW. Organisation and function of the cytoskeleton in polarised epithelial cells: A component of the protein sorting machinery. Curr Opin Cell Biol 1994;6:6-24. [Abstract/Full-Text]
5. Garcia P, Braguer D, Carles G, Briand C. Simultaneous combination of microtubule depolymerising and stabilising agents acts at low doses. Anticancer Drugs 1995;6(4):533-544. [Abstract/Full-Text]
6. Rosenblum MD, Shivers RR. Rings of F-actin form around the nucleus in cultured human MCF7 adenocarcinoma cells upon exposure to both taxol and taxotere. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 2000;125(1):121-131. [Abstract/Full-Text]
7. Nogales E, Medrano FJ, Diakun GP, Mant GR, Towns-Andrews E, Bordas J. The effect of temperature on the structure of vinblastine-induced polymer of purified tubulin: detection of a reversible conformational change. J Molec Biol 1995;254(3):416-430.34. [PubMed]
8. Le Chevalier T. Vinorelbine (Navelbine®) in non-small cell carcinoma. Lung Cancer 1997;18(2):60-61. [Abstract/Full-Text]
9. Kobayashi J, Hosoyama H, Wang X, et al. Effects of taxoids from Taxus cuspidata on microtubule depolymerisation and vincristine accumulation in MDR cells. Bioorg Medicinal Chemistry Letters 1997;7(4):393-398. [Abstract/Full-Text]
10. Lopez LA, Bertini F. The in vivo effect of low body temperatures on the degree of polymerization of tubulin in brain and testes: A comparison among some species of vertebrates. Comp Biochem Physiol A 1986;83(2):317-320. [Abstract/Full-Text]
11. Carlier MF, Hill TL, Chen YD. Interference of GTP hydrolysis in the mechanism of microtubule assembly: An experimental study. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1984;81(3):771-775. [PubMed]
13. Klener P. Protinádorová chemoterapie [Antitumour Chemotherapy]. Praha:Galén 996;344-348.
14. Amon A. The spindle checkpoint. Curr Opin Genet Dev 1999;9:69-75. [PubMed]
15. Rudner AD, Murray AW. The spindle assembly checkpoint. Curr Opin Cell Biol 1996;8:773-780. [PubMed]
16. Burke DJ. Complexity in the spindle checkpoint. Curr Opin Genet Dev 2000;10:26-31. [PubMed]
17. Sorger PK, Dobles M, Tournebize R, Hyman AA. Coupling cell division and cell death to microtubule dynamics. Curr Opin Cell Biol 1997;9(6):807-814. [PubMed]
18. Verdier-Pinard P, Gares M, Wight M. Differential in vitro association of vinca alkaloid-induced tubulin spiral filaments into aggregated spirals. Biochem Pharmacol 1999;58:959-971.
19. Giannakakou P, Nakano M, Nicolaou KC, et al. Enhanced microtubule-dependent trafficking and p53 nuclear accumulation by suppression of microtubule dynamics. Pharmacology 2002;99(16):10855 -10860. [Abstract/Full-Text]
20. Nový J. Discrete Fourier transform-based analysis of HeLa cell microtubules after ultrasonic exposure. Microscopy Research and Technique 2005;68:1-5. [Abstract/Full-Text]
21. Škorpíková J, Dolníková M, Hrazdira I, Janisch R, Mornstein V. The combined effect of ultrasound and cytostatic treatment on the cytoskeleton of HeLa cells. Folia biol 1998;44:14. [Abstract/Full-Text]
22. Lobert S, Vulevic B, Correia JJ. Interaction of vinca alkaloids with tubulin: A comparison of vinblastine, vincristine, and vinorelbine. Biochemistry 1996;35(21):6806-6814. [PubMed]
23. Mujagic H, Mujagic Z. Detection of pleiotropic drug resistance by the rapid immunofluorescence assay of drug effects on the cell skeleton. Oncology 1991;48(3):202-209. [Abstract/Full-Text]
24. Allison WA, Chervin AS, Gelfand VI, Craig AM. Postsynaptic scaffolds of excitatory and inhibitory synapsis in hippocampal neurons: maintenance of core components independent of actin filaments and microtubules. J Neurosc 2000; 20(12):4545-4554. [PubMed]
READ THE FULL ARTICLE
1. Access this article through your login credentials or your institution
2. Access this article through OpenAthens/Sign in
3. Purchase this article at rate $55.00 and received Full-Text/PDF
You will have online immediate access to article following the completion of this purchase and you may download and print a copy of each article for your personal use. Use the coding below to purchase your article as PDF by credit card, debit card, PayPal will be asked to supply your billing card information. Before continue with your purchase please read carefully the AJBM terms and conditions of purchase.
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Thank you for visiting American Journal of BioMedicine. * = Required fields[gravityform id=”6″ name=”Feedback”]