Idiopathic cytopenia of undetermined significance (ICUS) is a myeloid condition that have been recently described and have generated considerable controversy as to whether it should be recognized entities in the current classification of myeloid disorders. A 79-year-old male presented with anemia for long standing and evaluated by bone marrow biopsy that failed to identify the cause. CBC showed a transferrin of 179 mg/dl, ferritin of 389 ng/ml, a serum Iron of 51ug/dl, and retic absolute count of 0.03x10³, with normal levels of B12 and folate. He treated with erythropoietin replacement therapy and requiring 3-4 units of packed red blood cells monthly without clear response. While treated with Lenalidomide at a dose of 5 mg daily showed a complete response.
Keywords: Lenalidomide; ICUS; Anemia
Copyright © 2016 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
- Valent P. Low blood counts: immune mediated, idiopathic, or myelodyplasia. Hematology 2012; 485-491. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Valent P, Bain BJ, Bennett JM, et al. Idiopathic cytopenia of undetermined significance (ICUS) and idiopathic dysplasia of uncertain significance (IDUS), and their distinction from low risk MDS. Leuk Res 2012;36:1-5. [PubMed]
- Wimazal F. Idiopathic cytopenia of undetermined significance (ICUS) versus low risk MDS: The diagnostic interface. Leuk Res. 2007;31:1461-1468. [web]
- Steensma DP. The changing classification of myelodysplastic syndromes: what’s in a name. Hematology 2009; 645-655. [PubMed]
- Schroeder T, Ruf L, Bernhardt A, et al. Distinguishing myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) from idiopathic cytopenia of undetermined significance (ICUS): HUMARA unravels clonality in a subgroup of patients. Annals of Oncology 2010;21:2267-2271. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Steensma DP, Bejar R, Jaiswal S, et al. Clonal hematopoiesis of indeterminate potential and its distinction from myelodysplastic syndromes. Blood 2015;126:9. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Jaiswal S, Fontanillas P, Flannick J, et al. Age-related clonal hematopoiesis associated with adverse outcomes. N Engl J Med 2014;371:2488. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Biernaux C, Loos M, Sels A, et al. Detection of major bcr-abl gene expression at a very low level in blood cells of some healthy individuals. Blood 1995; 86:3118. [PubMed]
- Limpens J, Stad R, Vos C, et al. Lymphoma-associated translocation t(14;18) in blood B cells of normal individuals. Blood 1995; 85:2528. [PubMed]
- Nielsen C, Birgens HS, Nordestgaard BG, Bojesen SE. Diagnostic value of JAK2 V617F somatic mutation for myeloproliferative cancer in 49 488 individuals from the general population. Br J Haematol 2013;160:70. [PubMed]
- Laurie CC, Laurie CA, Rice K, et al. Detectable clonal mosaicism from birth to old age and its relationship to cancer. Nat Genet 2012; 44:642. [Abstract/Full-Text]
- Busque L, Patel JP, Figueroa ME, et al. Recurrent somatic TET2 mutations in normal elderly individuals with clonal hematopoiesis. Nat Genet 2012;44:1179. [PubMed]
- Xie M, Lu C, Wang J, et al. Age-related mutations associated with clonal hematopoietic expansion and malignancies. Nat Med 2014;20:1472. [PubMed]
- Genovese G, Kähler AK, Handsaker RE, et al. Clonal hematopoiesis and blood-cancer risk inferred from blood DNA sequence. N Engl J Med 2014;371:2477. [PubMed]
- Goldin LR, McMaster ML, Caporaso NE. Precursors to lymphoproliferative malignancies. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2013;22:533. [PubMed]
- Kyle RA, Therneau TM, Rajkumar SV, et al. Prevalence of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance. N Engl J Med 2006;354:1362. [PubMed]
- Greenberg P, Cox C, LeBeau MM, et al. International scoring system for evaluating prognosis in myelodysplastic syndromes. Blood 1997;89:2079. [PubMed]
- Malcovati L, Cazzola M. The shadowlands of MDS: idiopathic cytopenias of undetermined significance (ICUS) and clonal hematopoiesis of indeterminate potential (CHIP). Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program 2015;2015:299. [PubMed]
- Bejar R. Myelodysplastic Syndromes Diagnosis: What Is the Role of Molecular Testing? Curr Hematol Malig Rep 2015;10:282. [PubMed]
- Kwok B, Hall JM, Witte JS, et al. MDS-associated somatic mutations and clonal hematopoiesis are common in idiopathic cytopenias of undetermined significance. Blood 2015;126:2355. [PubMed]
- Malcovati L, Karimi M, Papaemmanuil E, et al. SF3B1 mutation identifies a distinct subset of myelodysplastic syndrome with ring sideroblasts. Blood 2015;126:233. [PubMed]
READ THE FULL ARTICLE
1. Access this article through OpenAthens
3. Purchase this article at rate $55.00 and received Full-Text/PDF
You will have online immediate access to article following the completion of this purchase and you may download and print a copy of each article for your personal use. Use the coding below to purchase your article as PDF by credit card, debit card, will be asked to supply your billing card information. Before continue with your purchase please read carefully the BM-Publisher terms and conditions of purchase.
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Thank you for visiting American Journal of BioMedicine. * = Required fields
Received July 11, 2016; accepted September 01, 2016; published September 12, 2016
How to cite this article
Steensma DM, Papaemmanuil M. Idiopathic cytopenia of undetermined significance (ICUS) treated with low dose of Lenalidomide. American Journal of BioMedicine 2016;4(9):360-363.
Email this link to a friend
Add article to my folders
Alert me when this article is cited
Add to portfolio
Contact with editor
Author Services Portal