The role of psychiatric symptomatic conduct of patients with FD has not been clearly shaped. In this study the role of psychiatric symptoms was evaluated in those patients. One hundred subjects [50 patients with FD (29 women, 21 men)], and [50 healthy individuals (27 women, 23 men)] in Al-Hussain teaching hospital in Samawa city were evaluated. The two groups were almost similar in regard to major demographic variables. Psychiatric symptoms were measured by “SCL-90-R” questionnaire. FD patients had worse psychiatric difficulties than healthy subjects. patients with FD reported more mean scores on psychiatric symptoms than the healthy subjects (somatization 1.87 ±0.74.vs 0.95 ± 0.50),(OCD1.31±0.62 vs 0.86± 0.55),(interpersonal sensitivity 1.08 ± 0.70 vs 0.76 ± 0.54),(depression 1.52±0.86 vs 0.91± 0.50),(anxiety1.53 ±0.59 vs 0.75 ±0.48), (hostility 1.41± 0.72 vs 0.69 ±0.56),(phobic anxiety 0.92 ± 0.73 vs 0.58 ±0.75), (paranoid ideation 1.19 ±0.78 vs 0.74 ± 0.56) , (psychoticism 0.76± 0.69 vs 0.40±0.45) and the total score of mental symptoms.1.29±0.52 vs0.74 ±0.37). All differences were very significant in statistical view with the exception of four measures, where the differences were statistically significant but to a lesser degree، namely the measures of interpersonal sensitivity, paranoid ideation, psychoticism. In conclusion, the results show that FD patients experienced more psychological symptoms than healthy subjects, so both physicians and psychiatrists should be aware about this coexistence when they manage such cases.
Keywords: Functional dyspepsia, psychiatric symptoms, gastrointestinal
Copyright © 2021 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
- Talley NJ, Stanghellini V, Heading RC, et al. Functional gastroduodenal disorders. Gut . 1999;45:37-42.
https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.45.2008.ii372. Jones MP. Evaluation and treatment of dyspepsia. Postgrad Med J. 2003;79:25-29.
- Holtmann G, Gapasin J. Failed therapy and directions for the future in dyspepsia. Dig Dis . 2008;26:218-24.
- Jones MP. Evaluation and treatment of dyspepsia. Postgrad Med J. 2003;79:25-29.
- Hillila MT, Hamalalnen J, Heikkinen ME, Farkkila MA. Gastrointestinal complaints among subjects with depressive symptoms in the general population. Alimen Pharmacol Ther . 2008;28:648-54.
- www.arabfp.org.2/7/2019. المقاييس النفسية - الإتحاد العام للأطباء النفسيين العرب
- Tack J, Fried M, Houghton LA, Spicak J, Fisher G. Systematic review: the efficacy of treatments for irritable bowel syndrome; a European perspective. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2006;24:183-205.
- M.Holi .Assessment of psychiatric symptoms using the SCL-90.(2013). ￼https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org.
- Noorbala AA, Mohammad K, Bagheri Yazdi SA. A survey of psychiatric disorders in Tehran city. Hakim.Journal 1998;4:212-223.
- Talley NJ, Fung LH, Gilligan IJ, McNeil D, Piper DW. Association of anxiety, neuroticism, and depression with dyspepsia of unknown cause. A case-control study. Gastroenterology. 1986;90:886-892.
- Hasin DS, Goodwin RD, Stinson FS, Grant BF. Epidemiology of major depressive disorder: results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcoholism and Related Conditions. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2005; 62: 1097-106.
- Carter RM, Wittchen HU, Pfister H, Kessler RC. One‐year prevalence of subthreshold and threshold DSM‐IV generalized anxiety disorder in a nationally representative sample. Depress Anxiety 2001; 13: 78-88.
- Faramarzi M, Shokri-Shirvani J, Kheirkhah F. The role of psychiatric symptoms, alexithymia, and maladaptive defense in patients with functional dyspepsia. Indian J Med Sci . 2012;66:40-8.
- Nakao H, Konishi H, Mitsufuji Sh, et al. Comparison of Clinical Features and Patient Background in Functional Dyspepsia and Peptic Ulcer. Dig Dis Sci . 2007;52:2152-58.
- Michael P. Jones , Lisa K. Sharp‡, Michael D. Crowells. Psychosocial Correlates of Symptoms in Functional Dyspepsia
Michael P. Jones￼, CLINICAL GASTROENTEROLOGY AND HEPATOLOGY 2005;3:521-528 ￼￼.https://www.cghjournal.org
- Walker EA1, Katon WJ, Jemelka RP, Roy-Bryne PP. Comorbidity of gastrointestinal complaints, depression, and anxiety in the Epidemiologic Catchment Area (ECA) Study.Am J Med. 1992 Jan 24;92(1A):26S-30S.
3. Purchase this article at rate $33.00
For any technique error please contact us
Who Can Become a Reviewer?
Any expert in the article's research field can become a reviewer with American Journal of Biomedicine. Editors might ask you to look at a specific aspect of an article,...
American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 9, Issue 1, pages 36-42
Received September 27, 2020; Accepted November 30, 2020; Published February 11, 2021
How to cite this article
Sahib AJ, Hussein KO, Hameed DM, Salih EM, Kareem E. The frequency of the psychiatric symptoms in patients with functional dyspepsia. American Journal of BioMedicine 2020;8(6):80-87.
Case report outline