46 years old women presented suddenly as fainting attack during her work shortly admitted to the emergency department and the initial work-up, a baseline electrocardiogram revealed irregular rhythm at 41 beats per minute (bpm). The patient denied ever having symptoms of presyncope, syncope, or generalized weakness. A Junior doctor in the emergency department treated patient with Amiodaron infusion to a overcome atrial fibrillation. The patient was monitored on telemetry during his 3-day admission and received Amiodaron orally 200mg×3, in addition, had a 48-hour Holter monitoring performed. He was found to have episodes of atrial fibrillation. A thorough history of the patient’s dietary supplements was obtained, none of which were known to cause bradycardia.
Keywords: Bradycardia; Pacemaker; Fainting attack
Copyright © 2013 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
- Linhart A, Kampmann C, Zamorano JL, et al. Cardiac manifestations of Anderson-Fabry disease: results from the international Fabry outcome survey. Eur Heart J 2007;28:1228-35.
- Lobo T, Morgan J, Bjorksten A, Nicholls K, et al. Cardiovascular testing in Fabry disease: exercise capacity reduction, chronotropic incompetence and improved anaerobic threshold after enzyme replacement. Intern Med J 2008;38:407-14.
- Mehta J, Tuna N, Moller JH, Desnick RJ. Electrocardiographic and vectorcardiographic abnormalities in Fabry's disease. Am Heart J 1977;93:699-705.
- Namdar M, Kampmann C, Steffel J, et al. PQ interval in patients with Fabry disease. Am J Cardiol 2010; 105: 753-6.
- Senechal M, Germain DP. Fabry disease: a functional and anatomical study of cardiac manifestations in 20 hemizygous male patients. Clin Genet 2003;63:46-52.
- Shah JS, Hughes DA, Sachdev B, et al. Prevalence and clinical significance of cardiac arrhythmia in Anderson-Fabry disease. Am J Cardiol 2005;96:842-6.
- Sheth KJ, Thomas JP Jr. Electrocardiograms in Fabry's disease. J Electrocardiol 1982;15:153-6.
- Wu JC, Ho CY, Skali H, Abichandani R, et al. Cardiovascular manifestations of Fabry disease: relationships between left ventricular hypertrophy, disease severity, and alpha-galactosidase A activity. Eur Heart J 2010;31:1088-97.
- Frustaci A, Chimenti C. Images in cardiovascular medicine. Cryptogenic ventricular arrhythmias and sudden death by Fabry disease: prominent infiltration of cardiac conduction tissue. Circulation 2007;116:e350-1.
- Ikari Y, Kuwako K, Yamaguchi T. Fabry's disease with complete atrioventricular block: histological involvement of the conduction system. Br Heart J 1992;68:323-5.
- Beck M. The Mainz Severity Score Index (MSSI): development and validation of a system for scoring the signs and symptoms of Fabry disease. Acta Paediatr Suppl 2006; 95: 43-6.
- Lang RM, Bierig M, Devereux RB, et al. Recommendations for chamber quantification: a report from the American Society of Echocardiography's Guidelines and Standards Committee and the Chamber Quantification Writing Group, developed in conjunction with the European Association of Echocardiography, a branch of the European Society of Cardiology. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2005;18:1440-63.
For any technique error please contact us
American Journal of BioMedicine 2013, Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 7-10
Received 08 September 2013; accepted 25 October 2013; Published 30 December
How to cite this Case reportShwann D. Does mild symptomatic bradycardia in a young active female need pacemaker?. American Journal of BioMedicine 2013;1(1):10-7