Ischemia-reperfusion of cardiac tissues may lead to a prominent damage of the myocyte through either necrosis or apoptosis that seems to be the predominant modes of death during this period. In this study, we investigated the effects of L-Methionine in regional ischemia/ reperfusion injury and apoptosis. Dwale-sprague rats were divided into four groups (six rats per group). Sham group, rats were subjected for all surgical procedure without ligation of the left interior descending coronary artery (LAD). Control group, in which LAD was ligated. Control vehicle and L-methionine treated groups, rats pretreated with normal saline and L-methionine (100 mg/kg, IP ), respectively, for 7 days then subjected to the surgical procedure with ligation of LAD for 25 minutes followed by 120 minutes reperfusion. At the end of reperfusion, cardiac tissue TNF-α, IL-1β, IL-6 and ssDNA, as well as plasma cardiac troponin I (cTnI) were measured. It has been found that L-methionine treated group showed significant reduction (P˂0.05) in TNFα, IL-1β, IL-6, ssDNA and cTnI with respect to the control groups. Histopathology study revealed that the treatment with L-methionine significantly (P˂0.05) improved cardiac injury as compared with control groups and the total severity scores showed that the cardiac injury was mild (score 1) in 50.0%, moderate (score 2) in 33.3% and sever (score 3) in 16.7% of L-methionine treated group. It is concluded that L-methionine reduces inflammatory reaction associated with ischemia/reperfusion injury induced by LAD ligation in addition to its reduction for cardiac injury induced by ischemia reperfusion.
Key words: Methionine; Ischemia/reperfusion; Ghrelin; cTn-I; Pro-inflammatory cytokines
Copyright © 2014 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
- Priebe HJ. Triggers of perioperative myocardial ischaemia and infarction. Br J Anaesth 2004;93:9-20
- Bopassa J. Chrisostome. Protection of the ischemic myocardium during the reperfusion: between hope and reality. Am J Cardiovasc Dis 2012; 2(3): 223-236.
- Braunwald E, Kloner RA. Myocardial reperfusion: a double-edged sword. J Clin Investig 985;76:1713-19.
- Fiorillo Claudia C, et al. Curcumin protects cardiac cells against ischemia reperfusion injury: Effects on oxidative stress, NF-kappa B, and JNK pathways. Free Radical Biology & Medicine 2008;45: 839.
- Yousif NG, Al-amran FG. Novel Toll-like receptor-4 deficiency attenuates trastuzumab (Herceptin) induced cardiac injury in mice. BMC Cardiovasc Disord 2011;11:62.
- Holly M. Brown-Borg, Sharlene G. Rakoczy, Eric O. Uthus. Growth hormone alters methionine and glutathione metabolism in Ames dwarf mice. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development 2005;126:389–398.
- Kröger H, Dietrich A, Ohde M, Lange R, Ehrlich W, Kurpisz M. Protection from acetaminophen-induced liver damage by the synergistic action of low doses of the poly(ADPribose) polymerase-inhibitor nicotinamide and the antioxidant N-acetylcysteine or the amino acid L-methionine. Gen Pharmacol. 1997; 28: 257-63.
- Wiedemann D ,Margreiter R, Laufer G, Petzelbauer P, Semsroth S. The fibrin-derived peptide B beta significantly attenuates ischemia/reperfusion injury in cardiac transplant model .Transplantation 2010; 89: 824-9.
- Ding JW, Tong XH, Yang J, Liu ZQ, Zhang Y, Yang J, Li S, Li L. Activated protein C protects myocardium via activation of anti-apoptotic pathways of survival in ischemia-reperfused rat heart. J Korean Med Sci. 2010; 25:1609-15.
- Wayman NS, Ellis BL, Thiemermann C. Simvastatin reduces infarct size in a model of acute myocardial ischemia and reperfusion in the rat. Med Sci Monit 2003;9:155-9.
- Bancroft JD, Stevens A. Theory and practice of histological techniques. Churchill Livingstone. Melbourne 1982; 2:125.
- Zhang M, Xu YJ ,Saini HK, Turan B, Liu PP, Dhalla NS. Pentoxifylline attenuate cardiac dysfunction and reduces TNF alfa level in ischemia-reperfused heart. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2005; 289: 832-9.
- Javier Arias-D, Vara E, Garc C, et al. S-Adenosylmethionine Protects Hepatocytes against the Effects of Cytokines Journal of Surgical Research 1996; 62: 79-84.
- Haddad JE, Garabedian BS, Saadé NE, Stephen CL. Thiol Regulation of Pro-Inflammatory Cytokines Reveals a Novel Immunopharmacological Potential of Glutathione in the Alveolar Epithelium. Journal of pharmacology 2013;1:346
- Prasad Kailash , Debjani Debnath, Jawahar Kalra and Marian Prasad.Protective effect of methionine in the ischemia-reperfusion cardiac injury in the canine mode. International Journal of Angiology 1996;5:93-101.
- Ao L, Li J, Aly A, et al. Myocardial tissue TLR4 plays a major role in mediating myocardial injury following cold ischemia and reperfusion through up-regulation of MCP-1. Journal of Surgical Research 2011;165(2):181.
- Çakıroğlu D, Meral Y, Bakırel U, Kazancı D.Cardiac troponin levels in dogs with dilate cardiomyopathy. Kafkas Univ Vet Fak Derg 2009;15:13-17.
- Armstrong Stephen C. Protein kinase activation and myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury. Cardiovascular Research 2004; 61: 27–436.
- Shan Lu, Sara M. Hoestje, Eugene M. Choo, Daniel E. Epner. Methionine restriction induces apoptosis of prostate cancer cells via the c-Jun N-terminal kinase-mediated signaling pathway. cancer Letters 2002;179:51-58.
- Brouns R, De Deyn PP. The complexity of neurobiological processes in acute ischemic stroke. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2009; 111: 483-95.
American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 87-97
Received 19 January 2014; accepted 11, April 2014, Published May 21, 2014
How to cite this article
Hadi N, l-Amran FG, Alrekabi M, et al. Methionine protects from myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury via down regulation of the inflammatory response and apoptosis. American Journal of BioMedicine 2014;2(2):87-97.
Case report outline