Direct nerve injury is one of the important complications of peripheral nerve blockade that was reduced to a significant degree by ultrasound guide and nerve stimulator. his retrospective study was done in different private and public electrophysiological clinics. Patients participated in this study were 60, 40 males and 20 females. Patient’s age range was 1 to 55 year. Two nerves were examined; the median nerve and the common peroneal nerve because they are most susceptible to trauma. This study depends on 3 variable physiological parameters regarding nerve physiology: latency, amplitude and conduction velocity to assess nerve healing after trauma. The results showed a highly significant recovery from nerve injury after 3 weeks with a p-value of 0.001 regarding all the 3 physiological parameters in both injured nerves.
Keywords: Nerve injury; Common peroneal nerve; Trauma
Copyright © 2018 by The American Society for BioMedicine and BM-Publisher, Inc.
- Pfister BJ, Gordon T, Loverde JR, Kochar AS, Mackinnon SE, Kacy Cullen D. Biomedical engineering strategies for peripheral nerve repair: surgical applications, state of the art, and future challenges. Critical Reviews in Biomedical Engineering 2011;39:81-124. https://doi.org/10.1615/CritRevBiomedEng.v39.i2.20 PMid:21488817
- Menorca RMG, Fussell TS, Elfar JC. Nerve physiology. Mechanisms of injury and recovery. Hand Clinics 2013;29:317-330. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hcl.2013.04.002 PMid:23895713 PMCid:PMC4408553
- Chambers WA. Editorial: Peripheral nerve damage and regional anaesthesia. British Journal of Anaesthesia 1992; 69:429-430. https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/69.5.429
- C. R. Effron and R. W. Beasley, "Compression neuropathies in the upper limb and electrophysiological studies," in Grabb and Smith's Plastic Surgery, C.H.Thorne, S. P.M Bartlett, R.W. Beasley, S. J. Aston, G. C. Gurtner, and S. L. Spear, Eds., chapter 86, Lippincott Williams &Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2006.
- L. R. Robinson, "Traumatic injury to peripheral nerves," Muscle & Nerve, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 863–873, 2000.
- Albers JW, Donofrio PD, McGonagle TK: Sequential electrodiagnostic abnormalities in acute inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy. Muscle & Nerve 8:528-539, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.880080609
- Dagum AB. Peripheral nerve regeneration, repair and grafting. J Hand Ther 1998;11:111–117.
- Lee SK, Wolfe SW. Peripheral nerve injury and repair. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2000;8:243–252.
- Ozkan T, Ozer K, Gulgonen A. Restoration of sensibility in irreparable unlar and median nerve lesions with use of sensory nerve transfer: longterm follow-up of 20 cases. J Hand Surg 2001;26:44–51. https://doi.org/10.1053/jhsu.2001.20156 PMid:11172367
- Le TB, Aszmann O, Chen YG, Royall RM, Brushart TM. Effects of pathway and neuronal aging on the specificity of motor axon regeneration. Exp Neurol 2001;167:126–132. https://doi.org/10.1006/exnr.2000.7538 PMid:11161600
- Verdu E, Ceballos D, Vilches JJ, Navarro X. Influence of aging on periopheral nerve functionand regeneration. J Peripheral Nerv Syst 2000;5:191–208. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1529-8027.2000.00026.x
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Who Can Become a Reviewer?
Any expert in the article's research field can become a reviewer with American Journal of BioMedicine. Editors might ask you to look at a specific aspect of an article.
Thank you for visiting American Journal of BioMedicine. * = Required fields
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
American Journal of BioMedicine Volume 6, Issue 3, pages 103-107
Received January 04, 2018; accepted March 01, 2018; published March 20, 2018
How to cite this article
Mubarak NA, Mohammed SJ. The significant recovery after direct nerve injuries in regional anesthesia. American Journal of BioMedicine 2018;6(3):103-107.
Case report outline