Rodolfo Hardiman, Alain Terkeltaub, Colin Frommer, Naoki Tsukamoto
There is widespread belief that coffee consumption is linked to atrial flutter; however, there is a relative lack of systematic evidence to support the assertion.The purpose of this study is to investigate whether coffee consumption, induces the atrial flutter in a meta-analysis study. In a population-based inception cohort study, we followed 22,212 men in Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital who had provided information on coffee consumption in 2001-2014. The meta-analysis showed lack of association of coffee consumption with increased risk of atrial flutter.
Keywords: Atrial flutter; Coffee consumption; Meta-analysis study
1. Frost L, Vestergaard P. Caffeine and risk of atrial fibrillation or flutter: the Danish Diet, Cancer, and Health Study. Am J Clin Nutr 2005; 81:578-82. [PubMed]
2. Curatolo PW, Robertson D. The health consequences of caffeine. An Intern Med 1983;98:641. [PubMed]
3. Kanter RJ, Papagiannis J, Carboni MP, Ungerleider RM, Sanders WE, Wharton JM. Radiofrequency catheter ablation of supraventricular tachycardia substrates after Mustard and Senning operations for d-transposition of the great arteries. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000;35:428-41. [PubMed]
4. Correa R, Walsh EP, Alexander ME, et al. Transbaffle mapping and ablation for atrial tachycardias after Mustard, Senning, or Fontan operations. J Am Heart Assoc 2013;19:1-9. [PubMed]
5. Kanter RJ, Papagiannis J, Carboni MP, et al. Radiofrequency catheter ablation of supraventricular tachycardia substrates after Mustard and Senning operations for d-transposition of the great arteries. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000;35:428-41.
6. Shen J, Johnson VM, Sullivan LM, et al. Dietary factors and incident atrial fibrillation: the Framingham Heart Study. Am J Clin Nutr 2011;93:261-6. [PubMed]
7. Cornelis MC, El-Sohemy A. Coffee, caffeine, and coronary heart disease. Curr Opin Lipidol 2007;18:13–19. [PubMed]
8. Greenland S. A meta-analysis of coffee, myocardial infarction, and coronary death. Epidemiology 1993;4:366–374. [PubMed]
9. Klatsky AL, Friedman GD, Armstrong MA. Coffee use prior to myocardial infarction restudied: heavier intake may increase the risk. Am J Epidemiol 1990;132:479–488. [PubMed]
10. Hammar N, Andersson T, Alfredsson L et al. Association of boiled and filtered coffee with incidence of first nonfatal myocardial infarction: the SHEEP and the VHEEP study. J Intern Med 2003;253:653–659. [PubMed]
11. Umemura T, Ueda K, Nishioka K, et al. Effects of acute administration of caffeine on vascular function. Am J Cardio 2006;98:1538–1541. [PubMed]
12. Thakkar S, Bagarhatta R. Detection of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation or flutter in patients with acute ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack by Holter monitoring. Indian Heart J 2014; 66(2):188-92. [PubMed]
13. Alpert JS, Petersen P, Godtfredsen J. Atrial fibrillation; Natural history, complications and management. Ann Rev Med 1988; 39:41-52. [PubMed]
14. USA NCA. National coffee drinking trends 2012. National Coffee Association USA, New York, NY (2012).
15. Frary CD, Johnson RK, Wang MQ. Food sources and intakes of caffeine in the diets of persons in the United States. J Am Diet Assoc 2005;105:110–113. [Abstract/Full-Text]
Limited access article
This article with limited access need to be buy, before continue with your purchase please read carefully the AJBM terms and conditions of purchase.
Purchase this article at rate $55.00 and received Full-Text/PDF
You will have online immediate access to article following the completion of this purchase and you may download and print a copy of each article for your personal use. Use the coding below to purchase your article as PDF by credit card, debit card, payball will be asked to supply your billing card information.
For any technique error please contact us and will be response to sending purchase article by email.
Thank you for visiting American Journal of BioMedicine. * = Required fields
[gravityform id=”6″ name=”Feedback”]